sachs idenity

Started by tomale, August 29, 2004, 08:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

The other day I stopped at a cycle salvage and to my amasment they were moving out. Not only that they had to down size in the process, they had moved all of the motors but as I was leaving I saw a sachs motor on the top shelf, so how it had been over looked.  I looked at it and it looked to be in pretty bad shape but under the circumstance I figured I could get it cheap.. At the rate things were going it might of ended up in Recycle. I did get it cheap... really cheap. I went looking for some kind of identifiing marks but could find none. I do not even know what size it is. I think it is rebuildable but I will need to know more about the motor to do that. I am looking forward to digging in this winter and seeing if I can make it live again. (allusion intended)  
The bore measures out at 50mm, so what is that a 125 or is that a 100....?
At the very least I will have to have the crank rebuilt and all the bearings and seals and gaskets replaced and it will need to have a new piston and at least a honed . There is rust on the clutch and the drive gears but I have yet to crack the cases to to see what is in side. I plan on getting the proper book...etc  but will need to know more before I do I think.
Interesting It has what appears to be a set up for a Tach. It is on the right side cover and works off the countershaft. I have never seen anything like this before. but then until few weeks ago I had never seen a real life Six day trials bike.  My experience with Pentons has been with Primarily the MC5's and alittle exposure with the harescrambler. So this is really new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also what special tools will I need to complete the job? I am sure that one of you guys could rebuild it for me but that would not be as much fun. I really want to do it myself. I figure that I do not have much into it now and I will make a great winter project.
Thanks

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OUCWBOY

Thom,
What you have is a motor that Ron Carbaugh is in love with. It is a 100cc. The std bore is 48mm so it's about on the last legs of that cylinder. The gear drive off the main shaft was used for a speedometer drive on many Sachs powered machines. There are lots of great Sachs rebuilders on this site and almost any could answer your direct questions, but as I must tell you Doug Wilford is the Sachs MASTER!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Thom,
  Donny is right on the engine, me and Doug Wilford being the the Master on Sachs engines.   To be straight up with you the engine you purchased is a parts only engine(cases some gears etc).  The crank alone would be over $200.00 for a new one(if you could find one) and a used one will run you around $75 to $100 on ebay, then you hope it is good.  The cylinder is on the last bore (50mm)and can only be bored(or honed) if you find a over 4th Piston.
  But the good news is you saved a Sachs engine from going to scrape.  I appreciate that fact, as I know Donny and I have both lost money in this manner in the past:).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

To everyone,
  There seems to be a misunderstanding of common English language.  As in to, two and too or set, sit and sat.  What my first sentence meant is Donny is right that the engine is the engine I love (100 Sachs) and he is right that Doug Wilford is the Master of Sachs engines.  Seems like if you read that sentence fast I am putting myself in the same class as Doug Wilford.......that is not what was meant by the sentence and besides when one wants to learn you go to the the Best.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rocket

Ron
The English classes in the North taught us to never use me and the "name" because if it was said fast, it sounded like "mean Doug!" and we all know Doug isn't mean. :D
Rocket

firstturn

Rocket,
  Could you write a little slower.  I seem to have trouble with the speed of the Northern Midwest defining the English language.  But maybe the week up North got me confused in trying to pretend I knew how to write the Northern Midwestern English.[8]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Rod,
But we all know that Ron is from Baja Oklahoma and they (both Texas and Oklahoma) have thier own language there. Example: awl = Oil; ounto = you want to, and so on! Took me years in the military to learn to speak northern. :D

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Donny,
  Thanks for the hep, but it is oyl=oil.[B)]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

I can relate.... took me forever to figure out what a "wyr plyr" is! (and I was born in the absolute southern most piece of U.S. real estate)

firstturn

Lynn,
  Everer buddie has a sett.[B)]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mick Milakovic

All y'all (thats plural) bin speakin real clear to me.
Archy v'derchy!  Thats French for see yer later!

Mick

alandspeed

Is the bore on this engine done?  Can Sach engines be resleaved or plated?

Kip Kern

Yes, Aluminum Sachs cylinders can be resleeved.  The 100cc sleeve is the easiest to find here and there as the 125cc was most widely used and those sleeves are a bit harder to find.  Try one of the suppliers listed or check at the swap meets.

tomale

Thanks y'all,
I might be willing to part with it but not just yet, Maybe it is only good for parts but we shall see! I am very curious as to what is inside. There is a local guy that races vintage that could handle both the resleeve as well as the rebuild of the crank if need be. I do not want to just part it out... that seems cruel. "Disassemble.... No Disassemble" It should live.
The problem I have is that I do not have the rest of the bike to go with it and I am not doing it to make money but I think it would be a great project. I am pretty sure I could do it.. Still if I could find a bike less a motor or a complete bike with a motor that needed to be rebuilt that would be even better.... don't ya think? Ron you and I may need to talk more about this!
BTW... the reason it took me so long to get back to it I have been having computer problems and it has been tough not having it available at my fingertips. besides I missed keeping in touch with Y'all

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W