MC5 Rear Shock Length

Started by G Ellis, September 02, 2004, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Ellis

Can someone tell me the eye to eye length, of the rear shocks on a MC5. Thanks G Ellis

Kip Kern

The set of Marzocchi's on the 400 I have in the shop are 13.5" center eye to eye.  Black spring #2's

tlanders

On my 1978 MC5 it is 13.62" or 346mm as per the parts book.

Teddy

Big Mac

I'm in need of some heavier Marzocchi springs on my 77 400 I recently brought back to life. Haven't asked Al B about them yet, but any other spring sources you guys know of for the stock 13.5" Marzokes? Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

Yes I would like that as well, My MC5 250 has the same problem. I never realized what a problem it was until I tried the same shocks on the 78 and all of a sudden the bike just felt right and I had confidence to let it fly. I think the difference has to do with the angle of the shock on the 76/77 verses the 78 which is much more upright. None the less I will need a stiffer set of springs for the 250

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Larry Perkins

Try Cosmopolitan Motors they might have some Zoke stuff yet.
Larry

Kip Kern

Joe at Cosmo was selling the last of the Ceriani/Marzocchi stuff at Mid Ohio.  $50 a pair!

DKWRACER

I have a set of black springs for 13.5 rears..too stiff for me @ 135lbs.
Tom....
Thomas Brosius

tomale

Thanks Tom, how stiff are they? are they stiffer than the stock springs. If so, do you have any idea how much stiffer? both Mac and I have a set a stock springs. that I am sure are too soft. Mac and I are both big guys. In my case it is a Dunlap problem but I am working on changing that tire. The problem that I have run into is that each company uses a different color code and I have no idea what they all mean.
Since Mac asked about them first I will let him have first shot at them.

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

G Ellis

Thanks for all the help on the shock length.

tlanders

When I put the classic Ohlins on my Mint 400, the lightest spring they had was too stiff for my 160 pound body. Kent Knudson recommended I go to Eibach Spring Company. They did have lighter springs for the Ohlins, they might be able to help you. I worked with a guy named Toby Hirsch at (800) 222-8811 extention 139. Good luck.

Teddy

DKWRACER

Seems to me that a fair number of rears had purple springs, which I have been running with good results, so could it be reasonable to say that the purple ones would work for riding weight up to 150 lbs.?
The black ones that I have are stiffer and I could barely budge them, me @ 140 riding weight, so the blacks appear to be for heavier weight riders, I would be willing to trade for a new set of foot pegs for 74 from Al B....I ship springs direct, and you ship direct from Al???
Any thoughts?
Tom..........
Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

OOOOPS, I forgot to mention where these springs came from:
Earlier this year I helped Bob Garner build a new 77 GS 400 racer, Bob is at 220 lbs. and I was keen on how the chassis performed, as you know, that chassis is the large backboned model that is heavier overall. After our last race, I asked him what it felt like, he said PDG...That MC is now a part of my collection and has been refitted with the softer purple springs....Hope this helps!!!!
Tom.....
Thomas Brosius

tomale

That does help the springs on the bike were the purple ones and I took them off because one of them was broken. so It sounds like the black ones would be better. Let me talk to Mac before I commit myself to this because after all he has first dibs.

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W