Sachs 125cc shifting problems

Started by tlanders, June 03, 2001, 10:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

I cannot shift quickly from 1st to 2nd on my 1971 Six Day, all I get is neutral. If going uphill, I cannot shift to 2nd at all, all I get is neutral. Larry (Iron Man) Perkins said there is a special tool to help set up the transmission and get the shims correct. Does anyone have that tool and may I borrow or buy it from you? I'm going to the AHRMA regional MX in Moberly, MO this next weekend and I know in advance that there will be many discouraging missed shifts. Thanks for your help. Ted (shiftless) Landers

OUCWBOY

I remebmer that years ago we used to make that tool out of an old shift shaft but I don't remember the details.  Someone here must know the trick.

Donny

San Diego Area Penton Owner.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Kip Kern

I don't use the special tool to set up the transmissions as I do not feel you need it.  The shift key has to be in excellent shape and not worn, the transmission gears cannot be worn on the inside of them, the main shaft must be shimmed properly, the shift boss must be shimmed properly between it and the case, and there must be sufficient shims placed between the shifter boss and the clutch cover (lay a ruler across case for this),  Nothing must bind and the shifting lever must be adjusted, then properly set overshift cams.  Sounds hard but is simple!  Check out a Clymer M427 manual to check the tranny!

tlanders

Thanks for the help. I have purchased the Clymer manual and will attempt to get it adjusted before the weekend. If not, I will just putt around in 1st gear and enjoy the time with all those there. My Jack Piner is working well and I can enter it, however in the 250 class............ I still would like to find out more about the magic Sachs tranny adjust tool if anyone can help. Thanks again, Ted

cward

I just finished a complete resto on a 72 125. I borrowed the shifter tool from Rick Grant but believe you could get by without it. If you wanted to you could build one pretty easy. all it is is a piece of aluminum about 3/4 inch thick with 2 holes drilled to match 2 of the side cover mounting screws. It only gives support to the shift mechanism in absence of the clutch cover. I believe a more important tool will be a dial caliper which I found indespensible for making all the necessary shim adjustments. The Sachs engine and transmission is very simple and I found if you take your time and read carefully anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can master a rebuild project. There are other special tools that I was abel to improvise and get by without. Good luck, Curtis

curtis ward
curtis ward