Kreem in fiberglass tank compatible?

Started by sdm, September 19, 2004, 11:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdm

I am pretty sure I got all the old crud out of my gas tank
on my Penton 125 and I was planning on lining it with a gas tank
liner. I bought some Kreem to use but the directions say that Kreem
may not be compatible with all fiberglass. Has anyone used this in
their tank? I would hate to screw it up now ....

Thanks
Sam

tmc3c

Hi Sam, I have Kreem in my tank now that a guy who did my painting of all my fiberglass parts. I had it installed because of talk here in POG about having to drain your tank after every ride and the unleaded fuel bleeding through the tank,but in fairness I must say that I am having either carberation problems or either the guy who installed my "new" PVL igntion system could be set wrong and I am going to have it checked this week because I don't have a screw in plug dial indicator.One thing I can say though is that my tank stripes stick without any problems:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

sdm

Thanks Thomas
 I am doing it for the same reason you state as insurance against
any possible chemical reactions with fuel. I flushed my tank out
with laquer thinner and let it dry out and off gas for a couple
weeks. Now I want to line it and make sure it is sealed. I think
I will do a test on a small corner just to make sure it doesn't
attack it.

Sam

Rain Man

Not to change the subject here, but while where on the  subject of timing, Thomas my plug hole timing (dial)indicator dosen't reach my domed headed Penton engines. You either need to put a 3/4" extension on the indicator or remove the head. I'm quite sure there is a special type of timing indicator that will fit with out head removal.  Have Fun !!

Raymond
keep right, stay in control (sometimes)
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Thanks Raymond !! I will keep that in mind when undertaken this timing project!:)

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

TGTech

One word of caution about the Kreem product: Recently, Ollie Martin used some Kreem in one of his tanks, and the first time he used the bike, the engine got something very gummy in the engine. It was like shellac and totally stopped up the engine. I haven't talked to him about it since he went back in and cleaned everything up, but he did show me the piston, and it was a mess.

I don't know much more about it, but I know that I'd certainly be cautious about it.

Dane

tmc3c

I am running a clear fuel filter on mine and I HOPE that nothing is a miss on it.Mine runs great mid range but bogs coming of the bottom.Plug is black and wet and I belive I hear spark knocking with 95 oct fuel and mixing 40/1 Maxima Super M.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

desmond197

I use Caswell Tank sealer from Hughs Bultaco on a lot of my fiberglass tanks. For $27.00 you get enough to do two tanks. It is an epoxy and sticks a lot better than Kreem which I think was designed for metal tanks. Caswell dries hard and will not peel off like Kreem. Do not keep fuel in you bikes in the garage anyway store it in a fire proof can in an outside utility building. My friend just had a garage fire that destroyed his home and garage. Old tanks, bing carbs and petcocks leak and the fire load from 1 gallon of gas is unbeleiveable.

tmc3c

I have seen any kreem in my carb and belive me I have been in it MANY times,also running a in line filter.I hope that I don't have problems with it,but who knows,it could be my problem now.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler