Bike transport needed

Started by Dave Withrow, September 17, 2004, 07:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Withrow

I was wondering if anyone was coming to the Midwest/AHRMA PVMX at Moberly from the Northwest.  I am buying a bike and need it brought from Montana to anywhere close to Illinois.  Would appreciate any help.         GO PENTON!

tomale

Dave,
I would love to help but we are not headed in that direction at all. Next month Mac and I are headed for the reunion ride but we will not be anywhere near Montana. We will be leaving from Portland OR, and heading east but then drop down into Idaho, Utah, Colorado etc. If we could meet some one along hiway 84 and someone could pick it up at the ride in Oklahoma then maybe it would work but that seems like a mess to figure out. Let me know if that is a possibility.
when Terry bought his Harescrambler he had it shipped in pieces and that was alot cheaper... just a thought. May fortune shine on you.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Larry Perkins

Thom

Would you be interested in and have room to bring a 1978.5 RM 250 Suzuki to me at the ISDTR if I can get the guy to get it to you in Portland?  

Larry P.

tomale

I would be happy to but let me talk to Big Mac about it. I actually live 3 hours north of Portand. (just north of Seattle) if that is of any help. I am planning on driving to Portland tuesday afternoon and crashing on Jon's couch and then we will leave on Wednesday morning for the ride. We may need to rework a few things but I think it is possible. I will get back to you on that. We  had been thinking about using a three rail trailer but the last time I took it out I had to do a side of the road patch. (It was a sunday nite and a country road. nothing was open so I had to do what I could)The trailer is suspended and one of the stays broke allowing one wheel assembly to move back and forth. It was moving from being toed in to toed out. I took a couple of extra tiedowns and stablized it for the trip home. It is an old trailer and I am begining to worry about it for such a long trip. I am building a trailer to replace it but it may not be ready for the trip. I am working on an alternitive. we may just rent a U haul trailer that is covered so that if we need to stop along the way the bikes would be secure. I will keep you posted. Not to worry this would be a problem whether we needed to add a bike or not.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Larry Perkins

Thanks, Thom.  Just let me know and if it works I will contact Kevin and try to set something up.  A word to the wise if you do a U-Haul.  Don't tell them you are hauling motorcycles as it is against their policy because of gas and fire risk according to the local U-Haul.  I syupidly metioned it the first time I wanted one and they said NO.  I have done it several times since with no mention and all went fine.  It is a little tricky tieing down in them.  Thanks again and I will wait to hear back.

Larry