VDO SPEEDO

Started by Rain Man, September 27, 2004, 04:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

There are several numbers on the bottom. So I will give you all that I can read. 20/160/2, W=1.42  these two sets of numbers were together the first set over the top of the other. then near the other mounting post 1.79 I also found these numbers ingraved by hand 580 W
This is my first experience with such things so.... Mac gave the speedo to me and I think that it must of came off a newer bike because for one the cable is too long. and the gear wheel thing that fits on the front wheel does not really fit my 250. He had used it at the last reunion ride he attended and it work fine then.  I wanted to have a speedo for the reunion too so?.  Ron what ever you can do to help this newby out would be greatly apperciated. I think that I am over my head.... again

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thom,
  Let me go look in the war chest and see if I have any animals like yours.  Send me a email tonight and I will call you if it is not tooo late.
Your Bud in Texas.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rain Man

Thanks T20sl for the advice and tips on removing that bezel.  I thought thats how it came apart, but I was hoping it wasen't.

Raymond
keep right, stay in control (sometimes)
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

t20sl

Thom:  I don't know about the side reset types as all of my experience is with the top reset versions.  The numbers on the bottom are the ratios and when a speedo was put on a different bike a local speedometer repair shop could alter the ratio to whatever you needed. The engraved ratio is probably the current ratio not what it came with out of the factory.  Sorry I don't remember the formula but  know it involved pushing the bike for 52.8' (1/100th of a mile) and counting the number of times the cable revolved.  Ron can probably come up with how the side shaft secures in.  Ted

Big Mac

Thom and all... Should have chimed in earlier--the VDO is off a '79 Husky WR, with the side reset knob (formerly). The hub drive and speedo are the right ratio combo for 21" front tire so it will record speed and mileage right. It worked great and reset to rollback mileage fine until about mile 8 of the 2002 ISDTRR, when I noticed the knob somehow fell off and disappeared.

I had the bezel and glass off at one time to clean it, and as I recall, I couldn't figure out how the knob shaft disconnected and therefore never took the guts out of the "bucket". You might figure it out if you carefully pry loose the crimped bezel and get the glass off to get it apart. I know Hollywood Speedometer in CA has VDO parts and will repair and service as needed, and planned to ship it down there someday, never got around to it...then again it needs a new cable too...

Resets are nice but timekeeping for ISDTRR is pretty much unneeded, so might not be worth the trouble. Much easier to just do the mileage subtraction in your head.  Jon
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR