Six Days chain guard interference

Started by imported_n/a, September 28, 2004, 03:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I have a 1973 Six Days.I purchased a nice repro chain guide and chainguard from Al Buener.They look great.My problem is that upon installation,there is contact between the tire and chain guard.The tire is a 3.50,and the chain is running through the center of the rub black.If I bend the guard away from the tire,I will cause chain guide interference.My contention is that my rim needs to be moved in relation to the hub(in bicycle terms this is called DISH).Does anyone have any thoughts on this and how to measure it?Cheers Larry

Doug Wilford

Dalesman;
Look along the top of the chain towards the front sprocket and make sure that the chain is running straight.   You may have to adjust the rear wheel to straighten the chain.   In doing so you should have good clearance between the tire and the chain guard, especially if you are using a 3:50X 18  Normally there is room for a 400X18 but then you have very little clearance.    It is more likely that the chain block bracket is bent.  This can be taken care of by using a long hard materisl that will fit through the spokes to the chain guard bracket and giving it a few good healthy smacks to bring the chain block back in line with the chain.    Have fun and enjoy the Penton
Doug

Doug Wilford

Dalesman;
Look along the top of the chain towards the front sprocket and make sure that the chain is running straight.   You may have to adjust the rear wheel to straighten the chain.   In doing so you should have good clearance between the tire and the chain guard, especially if you are using a 3:50X 18  Normally there is room for a 400X18 but then you have very little clearance.    It is more likely that the chain block bracket is bent.  This can be taken care of by using a long hard materisl that will fit through the spokes to the chain guard bracket and giving it a few good healthy smacks to bring the chain block back in line with the chain.    Have fun and enjoy the Penton
Doug