Hare Scrambler fork springs - suggestions?

Started by penton117, July 12, 2004, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penton117

Hi Guys,

Well my 1974 250 is together, now comes time to make it work! Among other adjustments, I need a recommendation on front fork springs. Like where to buy them and which size to get. My forks are 35mm Ceriani, which have '200' stamped on the bottom of each leg. I am an intermediate rider with a weight of 190#. Can anyone give me some ideas? The existing springs are bottoming too easily.

Thanks.

Cappy

One economical way to adjust the spring preload tension is to cut some PVC pipe (2" long section and will do nicely) and put it in the fork tube with a large flat washer on top of the existing springs. Then you just test and trim off length until the preload is right for your weight and riding conditions.  Be sure to clean it all real well before hand so you don't contaminate the fork oil with debris and dirt particles.

John Cappel

John Cappel

john durrill

penton117,
We were able to get new springs from Speed and Sport.
http://www.speedandsport.com/
Make sure you measure the old springs . Have them in hand if you call them.
John D.

tlanders

Barry Higgins sells heavier fork springs also. I think the originals are 22#/in and his are 28#/in.

Teddy

rd400pi

I am in the middle of rebuilding my 74 Hare Scrambler.  I took the forks apart to flush and install new seals/boots.  Lo and behold, it had 17mm and 18mm deep sockets in there for preload!  The best part is that they are Craftsman!  Not a bad material to use for preload spacers, for sure.  I never thought I would actually gain tools when I tore into the bike.:D

Mike Husted
  Tulsa

Larry Perkins

Best replacements are from either Barry as Ted said or AMS which is closer your way.

Larry P

Big Mac

Pre-load spacers can help some, but I found new heavier springs worked a lot better. Tried to get them for my '73 250 from Barry Higgins earlier this year with no luck. They kept saying Barry would have to get back to me. Finally tried Dave Boydstrom at AMS (//www.amsracing.com) and got some heavier/longer springs for $55, as I recall. They were only slightly heavier coil but several inches longer--to long to even get the caps back on without cutting to shorten them up.

I discovered a hack saw is useless on spring coils, but a bench grinder will cut through pretty quick. I'm heavier than 190# and cut them down until I could compress them to get the caps back on without straining too heavily, seemed to work fine. Be sure to give them the measurement of the coil width on the stock springs you're taking out--there are at least two replacement springs for Ceriani's and the slimmer width spring isn't going to work right. Dave will set you up right.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Larry Perkins

The springs Dave has are the right weight but fit several 35mm forks.  Cut them with a die or bench grinder aproximately 1/2 to 1 inch above the forks.  In other words put springs in fork with front of bike off the ground and caps off.  Mark the springs the 1/2 to 1 inch above fork then grind.  Voila better than stock.

Larry P