MC5 lights

Started by baxtermcc, October 26, 2004, 07:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baxtermcc

I'm looking for some help with two MC5 questions:

1) Does the '76 MC5 have a Motoplat ignition?
2) Will the system support the installation of a lighting kit?

Thanks,
Bob McCullough
Cranberry Twp, PA

firstturn

Bob,
  It should have a Motoplat ignition if it is stock.  If it has a flywheel it would be a external Motoplat system and should have the lighting coils.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

baxtermcc

Thanks Ron, glad to have the opportunity to meet you at Zink over the weekend.

Bob

Big Mac

It will have a motoplat if it's stock. 35W headlight (Blue? Can't remember), 18W stoplight green wire and 5W misc white wire, all in 6 volt, from recollection. This will light up a very modest headlight/tail/stop setup but don't plan on any dark night runs over 10 mph, as it's pretty feeble. I run a 12v tractor headlight (fits in the PP light/numberplate) which Napa sells for about $8 and seems to work adequately to let others know you're coming at night. The manual available through Buehner Supply outlines all well and gives wiring diagram.

Dane at Penton Imports sells an MBZ ignition which puts out like 80W+ and should light things very as well as electrify many small 3rd world villages as may be needed.

Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

firstturn

Bob,
  Great meeting you.  My Family was originally from the other Cranberry (north of you) near Oil City and Franklin.  Mac gave you some good info and great advise if you chose to change ignition systems.  I hope you enjoyed the ride and being with your Brother.  It was really great all the work he put into the Zink Reunion and besides that he had two really nice bikes on display.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh