Puch parts perhaps?

Started by Bill Quaccia, October 18, 2004, 07:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Quaccia

I recently found a complete, lo-mile, (rusty) 1973? Puch 175cc Enduro? X-country?  How it got on Kodiak Island, I don't know.
I think it deserves to be revived.  Any Puch people perusing this phorum?

Bill Quaccia
Kodiak, AK

Larry Perkins

I have an NOS Puch piston kit if needed.

Larry P

firstturn

Bill,
  Welcome to the Penton Owners Group.  We have several people that are knowledgable on Puchs that tune in from time to time.  Doug Wilford and Dwight Rudder are two that come to mind.  Good luck on your find.  Interesting area where you live.  The bear there are the largest in the world.  Is the Air Force base still open there?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Try "West" motors in WI, they have everything PUCH.  Try a Google search and go from there!  CIAO[8D]

Bill Quaccia

Anyone have a good home remedy for removing a stuck cylinder nut?  You know, the one way down deep in the hole?  I don't want to Puch anything up with too much force.  I've tried heat, penetrating oil, and tap-tap-tapping to free it.  I've seen a plumbers hex wrench set used to remove faucet valve seats.  It's a long, straight shaft with plenty of meat to get a wrench on the end.  Best part is, the hex is tapered.  Might try that if I bugger up the nut.

hrbay

Bill, try welding a 6mm allen(I think) to a tee making a much better grip for removing these nuts. If you only have one stuck, count yourself lucky. I have had maybe 80% success just soaking with spray penetrant and heat( sometimes for weeks) and just being patient. I have one 175 cyl. soaking now, and one (125)that just came loose. The later cylinders had weep holes in the column down low to allow water to drain out, but the early ones do not, you can drill them into the aluminum to get a path for your penetrant if you want. Last resort is to grind the kerf off of a hacksaw blade and work it thru the base gasket to cut the studs. This leaves other problems though , try the penetrant first. I have had good luck with Liq/Wrench and PB Blaster brands, although I'm sure there are more good ones. Good luck.

GC
GC