Use of Penton motorcycle

Started by Mike Horton, October 17, 2004, 04:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

Hi - I just registered to post on this forum and plan on becoming a member of POG. I bought a new Penton 125 in 1971 and rode it consistently in the Missouri hills south of St Louis for four years until I sold it after graduating from college. All I have left other than my memories is a picture of the bike, shop manual and my HiPoint boots. Just recently I bought my 12 year old son a YZ85 MX bike. Because of this I need to get a bike to ride with him. I haven't ridden for over 25 years. What I am debating is to find a Penton to ride.
Is this crazy since these bikes are collector's items and the availability of parts ?  Thanks for you comments

hrbay

Hi Mike, if I lived where you do I'd probably have three or four by now, the mid west region of the country has had an abundance of barn queens that are now runners. Parts are available, check the vendors links here. The ISDTR next weekend would be a good drive and would more than likely get the old juices flowing again, and possibly be a source for a new(old) ride. Wish that I could make that trip.

GC
GC

Rain Man

Hi MIke and welcome to the Penton Owners Group.  The bikes are available even up here in the North East,  Last year at this time I chased my dream of retreiving my 1973 Jackpiner I sold back in the 80's.  Now I have 5 Pentons and 3 of them are running. That ole Piner
   will be up and running for Christmas, and looking better than when I bought it back in 1974.  Good Luck, and don't despair, the Pentons are still out there[8D] stay posted !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Welcome Mike !! I have just completed me a 1976 250GS and once you have PENTONITIS there is only one cure know to man !! Now go find you a PENTON and come on out !! It is still as much of a blast as it ever was!!!:D:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

Welcome Mike,
They can even be found in the Great Northwest. I bought a new 250 back in the day and never got rid of it. I just could not part with it... pun intended. Now I have two and you never know what santa may bring. It all started for me a couple of years ago when my son wanted to ride and I figured that if I was going to teach him to ride I had better get mine running. Not that it ever was too far from that but after many years of sitting it needed a few things and I needed a bunch of help, I found all of that here. you would be amazed what is available. All you need to do is ask. So far there has only been a few things that has really been hard to find and I have managed to either go with out or some one here had it. More and more stuff is being made for these truly great bikes. If you can make it for the reunion ride look for a Red Chevy tahoe with a white trailer and two Pentons in front of it. One yellow and the other red. Stop by and say Hi!

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

bobrammer

Welocome to the POG.  This is a great bunch of people and a wealth of information.  By the way, those vintage H-Point boots are worth a nice chunk of change nowadays!!

bildough

you are about to start on the "wonderful world of vintage bikes". Prepare your wife in advance. I saw a penton in July at a race and was hooked; since a 1972 six day was my last ride in 1974.  Now 3 months later there are 16 bikes in the garage and Ive never been happier. Before you start however check out what it costs to attend the " Betty Ford Clinic of vintage bike collecting". Rocket provided 2 bikes for me and racing the six day he sold me got the juices boiling again. Thanks to Rocket and the other Poggers
Bill Cappel
1972 six day
1974 JP
1977 Berkie