"D" model motor in a Penton

Started by Bryson Williams, November 08, 2004, 05:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryson Williams

Boys the Penton gods are smiling on me. Got a call from a fella I'll call him SAM " Not his real name" .  Anyway he wants to sell me his 197? Penton 125 with a " D" Model motor.  Is their a way to confirm it's a GS without taking it apart.

This is important as I'm trading my Greatful Dead bootlegged music and poster collection, my Dale Ernhart collection, and cash for the bike. Actually he wants 1500.00 for the bike and says it's a rebuilt motor.  

Any helpful hints.  It does have a 6 fin barrel,with the built in carb maniford.  

Dirk Williams

Larry Perkins

Dirk,

The odds are against you on the GS.  There were a decent amount of "D" motors made from late 74 to 76 but not many "D GS".  Two ways to tell and only one is fool proof.  The ignition sidecase will either say D or D GS on the motor plate.  This is one way but sometimes the plate is missing or sidecovers can be exchanged.  The other is to pull the cylinder and look down at the crank.  If it is a GS you will know because the cases are so stuffed there is just a slot that the rod runs through.  Good luck but remember don't pay too much if it is just a "D" because the only real advantage is with the carb mount it has you can run a bigger carb easier.

Larry P

Doug Wilford

Your chances are about "nada" that the Penton has the D bottom end, cylinder and head yes.

Dwight Rudder

The D motor has a bolt on carb manifold not the built on spigot. Some of the earlier B engines of 1974 had stickers with " KTM Special GS tuning"  on them. My 1974 of that time had that. It had the 28 mm carb with the bolt on top not screw on like the 27mm.  It ran Extremely well. I was told this engine Had GS porting but was still a B motor. It would out accelerate Tom Penton's 125 up to 65mph.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

OUCWBOY

I have a 1974 1/2 Six Day with a 1251/6D-GS motor in it. It is stamped 1251/6D-GS stamped on the ignition cover plate. I got this bike from a guy in Tennessee and the speedo show a total of 368 miles. It was still hooked up and working. I have no reason to believe any different. I have not taken the engine apart yet, but it is on the burner to do so soon. It also had the blue and white stickers that said special GS tuned. It is in fact a D Cylinder with 6 fins and a bolt on 28 mm Bing.You guy all know more about this than me, but I'm just telling you what I have. I also have a 72 that has been fitted with a GS motor in it as well and it's very, very fast!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Gavin Housh

Donny, Back in 1998 when I got back into the Penton game I knew nothing about the different bikes. I had a guy offer me a bike just like you describe, except no speedo or enduro stuff for $350! Boy do I kick myself now. Did I mention KICKING MYSELF! G man. p.s. I'm still kicking myself.