Steel Tanker shock springs blk or chrome?

Started by t20sl, November 08, 2004, 11:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Does anyone have correct info on when rear shock springs went from chrome to black paint or vise versa?  Ready to chrome some but not sure if I need to.

rob w

Ted,

Black is the correct original color for your shock springs.

Bob.

t20sl

Bob:  What years had chrome.  I have 2 sets of chrome top cover shocks and both had chrome springs.  Kind of confused.  Ted

Kip Kern

I've taken some off of "71" Steel Tankers (Ceriani) but don't know if they were correct.  These had chrome springs and top shrouds?  I have also seen the same shocks on some early "72" CMF bikes.  I think KTM grabbed what they had for assembly until stock was depleated.  The majority I have dealt with were black springs on the Steel Tankers though.

OUCWBOY

When I bought my 69 NEW in 69 it came with black springs. The 70 model that my buddy bought new in 70 also had black springs. I am not sure the steel tankers ever came with chrome springs.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Paul Danik

I have some pictures that were sent from the KTM factory to Mr. Penton to show him the changes that the factory had started to put into production on the steeltankers.   The one picture shows the improved swingarm with the new gusset near the piviot point, the shocks in the picture are black with chrome springs and chrome top covers and bottom ring.   I also have some NOS steeltanker shocks that have the chrome top cover, black springs, black shock, and chrome bottom ring for the spring to set into.
Hope this helps.
Paul

t20sl

Thanks Paul and Donny.  I have a very bad picture of me going up a hill at Little Burr 250 enduro in 1971 on my 1969 and it looked like they were black.  Weird but both pairs of badly used shocks I have found were chrome.  I know the springs were original due to the barrel shape spring Ceriani used.  Slightly smaller at top and bottom than in middle.  They must be from 1971 or later then.  Paul, I would do almost anything for a pair of NOS shocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

baxtermcc

Paul,
What year is the bike that you have pictures of?  I'd like to compare them to my '71.  My bike has Girlings, not Ceriani.  They worked very well at the ISDTRR.  I was also very pleased that the front forks never leaked a drop of oil.  I bough new seals and wipers from Al at VMD but didn't install them.  To my knowledge they are the original seals!

Thanks,
Bob McCullough

Paul Danik

Bob,
   The hand written information on the back of the photos says 1969. The bike has NO bracket for mounting a down pipe, has the short seat and the large alloy topend.
Paul

baxtermcc

Paul,

I have several pictures of the bike I took at AMA, I thought it was a '69.  I referred to those pictures several times while restoring my bike.  My plan was to restore it to a representative condition, but still keep it a riding bike.  Mine is #247 on the Featured bikes, my brother Dave's is 147.

Bob

t20sl

Bob:  From photos looks like yours are 1970 / 1971's. Mine is a 1969 titled 1969 purchased from original owner.  Other than shocks bike was untouched.  Had the Puch head when he purchased it.  Iron cylinder, no low pipe mount.  My original 1970 that I bought new was same except butch head.  It was titled 1970 but really was a 1969.  You can check out your serial numbers against others to help identify years.  Ted

baxtermcc

Ted,
My bike (#247) is V4242, Dave's bike (#147) is V3010 and has a title indicating 1970.  We believe both to be 1970's.  Interestingly, Dave's bike has the frame gussets near the rear engine mount, mine does not.
Bob