How do you hold............?

Started by farmer58za, November 20, 2004, 11:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmer58za

Hi guys
I've got a set of '75 forks dismantled on my workbench. When I tighten the damper rod bolts again, how do I stop them from turning? I see there's no holding slot or flats on top of the rod. Is there a special trick to it?
Thanks

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

pketchum

Although I'm unfamiliar with the Penton forks, I'll bet they're very similar to other forks.  What you want to do is to turn the bolt VERY fast, faster than the damper rod can spin.  This will cause the bolt to TIGHTEN, and that's what I think you're probably trying to accomplish.

What I do is to chuck up an allen head wrench into my drill, or into my air wrench.  That spins it much faster than I could ever do by hand, and the bolt will tighten inside the damper rod.

Let me know if this helps David.  Are you feeling much better after the ISDT Reunion Ride?

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

farmer58za

Thanks Phil
I'll try that.
Shoulder and chest still a bit tight, otherwise on the mend!

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

Paul Danik

David,
     I always put the spring in the fork leg and install the fork cap. Then I put the fork leg upside down on the floor with a rag under the fork cap and apply downward pressure, this puts pressure against the damper rod, then I tighten the allan bolt. The more you push down the more pressure that is applied to the rod. It is really important to have the end of the allan bolt really clean so the fit between the wrench and the bolt is as perfect as possible to prevent stripping of the head.
Hope this helps and I am glad you are feling better.
Paul

cardojr

David,I invert the forks and put a pine dowel up the tubes-the wood is soft enough that it won't splinter inside your forks.

thanks-rob

farmer58za

I eventually turned up a steel dowel that's a close fit into the hole at the top of the damper rod. I insert that in the damper and hold it with a vise grip. I could then torque the bolt.
Thanks to all

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David