Vintage Days 2005

Started by firstturn, November 22, 2004, 06:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

To Everyone:
  As most of you know I like a headstart...hence the name Firstturn, Oh I mean a good start[:o)].
  So to get everyone ready for next year here are the dates for Vintage Days compliments of Ed Youngblood.  For those of you who aren't awaware of his website check it out sometomes on LINKS.

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days to Feature Ducati

(11/18/2004)

Ducati will be the featured marque at AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days 2005, to be held July 15 through 17 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio. The Grand Marshal for the event will be Paul Smart, who won the 200 Miles of Imola aboard a Ducati in 1972. Also, World Stunt-Riding Champion Christian Pfeiffer will perform aboard his Ducati during the event.

The event will again feature AHRMA road racing, dirt track, motocross, and trials. In addition, there will be three vintage bike shows, the traditional all-brands swap meet, a slate of guest speakers, new motorcycle demo rides, the annual Motorcycle Hall of Fame benefit auction, a reunion of motocross legends, and the return of Tommi Ahvala's Team Extreme Trials Showcase. For more information, click here or call 1-800-AMA-JOIN.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OhioTed

Thanks much for the heads-up, Ron.  Gives us something to look forward to.  Hey, if we got in line now, we'd be sure to score some prime camping spots...  How 'bout it?  TED

tmc3c

I can't wait to go this year !! I had a blast last year !! How about the PENTON OPEN GOLF TOURNAMENT ? Kip ? Doug ? Jack ?[:p]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Tennessee Vol

Thanks Ron for the info I am looking forward to meeting you and everyone else there!I hope I have my bike finished in time for the race.:)

Bobby Stults
Bobby Stults

Rain Man

Bob, .. what about the soft ball playoffs?  Its gonna happen again for you and your family again this year, I can tell.
  Now one question I have: how many years has mid Ohio been happening?
Is this the 10th or 20th or ??  I'm gonna work over time till then, and then..this year I will fill the truck up yup yup

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

cubfan1968

This event sounds like a great time. I know its a long time off,but I need to start lining up vacation time. Got a few questions;
How early do you need to get there to get a good camping spot?
Does the POG have their own events during the doin's? Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

firstturn

Rod,
  You can go to the AMA website for a complete run down on when they will let people in for camping.  Last year they said no one in until Friday morning...I saw somw in Thhrusday which I assume were vendors or track workers.  POG has a central area with our display and tent for our meeting and eating and discussing Pentons.  I hope this helps.

//www.ama-cycle.org/

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

cubfan1968

As always I appreciate the info. Thanks

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

tmc3c

Just Make SURE you get there !! Last year I went for my first time and I didn't see one race or anything ,I just stayed over at the Penton tent and I had the time of my life!!! I sat down and talked to the man himself "John Penton" now how cool is that ? I Played Golf with Doug Wilford and Kip Kern and his son ! I finally got to meet Ron Carbaugh and Bobby Manucy ! Talked to Jack Penton and had some of his Birthday cake ! The list goes on and on !! Do what you got to do to get there, you will never forget it !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Lew Mayer

Too short isn't it,Tom. You never have enough time to do all you want to do there.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

bildough

sounds like great fun. I wonder who in POG will have the longest drive. Both to the track and off the tee box.
bill Cappel

tmc3c

I think that I might have won that one last year due to the fact that I hit my drive on the 17th out onto the hwy. and it rolled for a while and hit something and bounced back into play !!! It's Better to be lucky than good sometimes !![:p]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

swamp fox

How right you are Thomas.  I too drove up from SC and wasn't sure what to expect. As I humiliated myself trying to put up a tent[B)], I thought "what the hell am I doing here?" Everywhere there were groups of people getting their stuff out of trailers and trucks, having conversations about their last races. With no bike to ride:(, and not knowing a soul, I made my way over to the swap meet and found the POG tent. The first person I met was "young" Ted Del Solar, and he greeted me as if I had known him for years. I met Mr. Penton, Jack, Ron, Dane, Paul, Rob, Doug, Al, Speedy, Kent, Gary, Tonie, Thomas and a list of others that could go on and on. I talked with all of these wonderful people and knew then that my trip was worth it:D. Over at the MX track, I took some pictures of every Penton that went by, smelling the oil mix that had eluded me for the last 10-15 yrs. I was glad that I had made the trip, and it re-affirmed my quest to get "back in the saddle" again, if not only to have some fun with my daughter and wife.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)