Toni Proffer's story

Started by tmc3c, December 13, 2004, 08:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

I just read my STILL....KEEPING TRACK and while reading Toni's story I was on the edge of my seat when she was talking about Herbs building behind the shop with all of the motorcyles he loved in there ! Wow talk about a TOY BOX !! I felt like I was right there while Toni is living this ! I also hung out at a cycle shop in Charleston called Stokes Honda and he sold Pentons and Huskys also. Great Story Toni !!! I could close my eyes and see it all !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Kip Kern

Thomas,  I too really enjoyed Toni's story, I read it twice!  I had a chance to go to the Flint auction but had a military commitment so had to pass at the time.  My friend went to the auction and brought home a van and trailer packed full of NOS Pentons and Hi Point boots etc.  After returning home, I got to see an actual auction inventory list for the sale and couldn't believe it, all the cool stuff I missed.  About 6 months to a year later, I was talking to a Penton friend and was, as usual, hunting Penton stuff for my bikes, he referred me to a person in Flint who had bought a ton of stuff at an auction and may be able to help out on parts.  I called this guy and he indicated that he had a bunch of stuff and I could come up to see it.  Well, after a 4 hour hair raising drive to Flint, via ice, I got to see 4 large garages filled to the top with Penton inventory,  wow, I went crazy but didn't figure on buying all that stuff.  After looking at an inventory list (sears toy catalog size) I got back in touch and was able to purchase the inventory from this gentleman who had bought it all from the Flint Indian sales auction.  I had never seen so much stuff and it took 6 months to go through it.  I just whished I had gone to the auction and was able to see the whole thing going down.  After seeing what I had purchased, I could never imagine what was at the Flint dealership?   Thanks Toni for the cool story!

rob w

I'd like to thank everyone that contributed to another excellent newsletter. I don't know how you guys do it, but I'm so glad you do. I really enjoyed it, thank you.

Brob

firstturn

Toni,
  Thank you so much for not only the story but the walk back in history of motorcycling in what I consider one of the most unbelievable collections of motorcycles ever to belong to one dealer, and believe me I have seen a lot of dealers and their collections over the years.  I was most impressed with your parents and their contributions to the sport and how they brought you along and taught you the values of riding.
  I just couldn't help reading with intensity two parts of the story.  The first of you being 8 years old and having your Father check you out on the bike everyday to see if you could start riding.  That is priceless and the second is a little something that I can't think how lucky the Penton Owners Group is that the Penton your Father took you to look at started on the first kick.
  In closing I wish I could see more young people with the smile you had in the picture with your Father.  I also wish more people could have the type of wonderful Family you have and be captured in a Picture that tells it all...Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh