Correct paint color

Started by Mike Horton, December 07, 2004, 03:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

Are all 175's blue with yellow plates ? Just bought a 1975 and it came with a orange GS6 tank and white side panels, Also can you get the correct tank decals for the GS6 tanks. I did not see them in Al's catalog.

G Ellis

Mike you might have a late model 75 175. Late 75 models had a large orange tank. The white side panels are probably replacements.Does you bike have leading edge front forks? I have decals for the large tank "L" shape decals.Can you send a photo of your bike to me,my email address is [email protected] Send me your email and I will send you a photo of the decals. Hope this will help.  Gary Ellis

Mike Horton

Gary - Are you telling me that all 175's starting in 1976 were orange ? The bike was born on October 1975. When I got it had a Windsor aftermarket tank on it, but the seller gave me the 1976 GS6 tank (that's what he said it was). The side panels are repro's, but the inside of the airbox is blue. Thanks Mike

Mike Horton

Gary - Forgot about the front forks. They have a 1/8" raised section that goes up and down to where a brace to the front hub is connected. Is this what you mean by leading edge ?

G Ellis

Is the outside of the airbox orange? I had a 75 that had a GS6 2.8 gal. tank on it. You can't rely on the inside of the airbox, because the factory would put on anything that was on the table at the time of building the bike.Is the tank tall with flat sides,or a rounded tank.

Mike Horton

Gary - The tank is tall and flat on the sides. It has recessed "L" shapes on each side. Checked the air box, it is blue inside and out. Back to my question, what years were 175's paint blue ? I would be interested in the decals you have for the tank. I,m planning to use this bike as my trail rider and just want to make it look more presentable. Let me know on the decals. Mike

Rain Man

MIke I have (2) 1973 Jackpiners and their both "ocean blue" with yellow number plates. I believe the 74's were also blue.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Rocket

I have an early 76 175 that has the blue tank and airbox, I think the serial number is 51087000.  I believe it must be one of the last blue Jackpiners before they became orange.  
Rocket

buckyduke

I also have 74 175 with blue and yellow.  If I wanted to repaint the tank, and side panels, what paint manufacturer and specific color code should I use?  Is there a generally accepted *authentic* color used in restorations?

John Ehrhart

I happen to have a 75 and one thing I have noticed is that they changed all the time--see above, as in they threw whatever was available on the bike. Mine came with Ceriani straight-leg forks but stamped "200" on the bottom to denote that they now had that much travel, presumably to match the new cantilever rear better.
And someone else can probably confirm this better, but I believe there is no "paint" as the gelcoat of the fiberglass contains the pigment.

1969 Husqvarna 400 Cross
1974 Monark
1975 Jackpiner
1978 GS6 400
1981 250 MX
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson