Plastic reconditioning

Started by Lloyd Boland, December 17, 2004, 07:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Boland

Does anyone have a trick on making plastic, ie. preston petty fenders, clean up real nice.  Very small inperfections, scratches, etc but I would like to polish them, or something, to try to bring out more of a luster in the plastic.  Is it possible?
I defer to the experts!
Thanks.
Lloyd Boland

Jimisback

Yes, you can use Brasso. It is used to do most metal polishing. But jewelers use it in watch crystals even. Just rub it on and be patient. Keep rubbing until it is smooth. Then polish it off. It takes some time but it is worth doing. Small circles work best.

Gary Roach

Another product to try is PC Racing's Plastic Renew. Kent Knudson used this stuff on his '77 MC5 that's going to be on display at the AMA museum next year. Your local motorcycle shop should be able to order it. Here's a link to their website:

http://pcracingusa.com/plasticrenew.php#

Gary

swamp fox

I haven't tried it on color impregnated plastics, but if you have a vehicle with plastic headlight covers that are frosted, rub them down and polish them up with good old rubbing compound.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Lloyd Boland

I'm going to try some of the plastic renew ans I'll let you know how it works.  Has anyone used it on a plastic tank?

Kip Kern

I just cleaned several fiberglas and plastic tanks today and use Meguires plastic cleaner and polish (two separate bottles).  Mothers also works well but I prefer Meguires.  Spelling is incorrect I think but you can get it at Wicks Aircraft supply, along with many other widely used items on dirtbikes, i.e., rubber grommets, bushings, 4130 tubing and on and on you get the picture!;)

Lloyd Boland

Thanks Kip.  Went to a couple of local auto stores but no luck.  I see Meguires (sp) has their own web page that you can also order from.  If I don't find something local I'll try online.  Thanks again for your help.

Rocket

I have found the Meguire's at Wal-Mart stores.
Rocket

Lloyd Boland

Thanks, went Wal-Mart & it seems they had almost every Meguires product but the plastic cleaner and polisher.  I asked a sales person and they had no clue.  Did you find the plastic product with all the other automotive products or did you find it in another section in the store? Lost again.

Rocket

Lloyd
Try this link and at the bottom is a "contact us", maybe that will help you find what you need.
Rocket
http://www.detailsupplydepot.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=dsd29-13.bbx

olgoose

Lloyd, I have found that lemon Pledge will brighten up most plastic. I like to spray it on and leave on overnight for the plastic that is really dull.PS: It works great on all the plastic on your truck or car. Try it! I think you will be suprised.

David Duarte
David Duarte loomis, Ca.