35mm Ceriani Fork Question

Started by Chakka, December 27, 2004, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

Somehow through my utter stupidity I messed up the threads on a set of Ceriani 35mm leading axel forks I am putting on my bike. The steering head nut won't go on now and I don't want to force it. Does anyone know what metric thread die I need to "chase" that thread?

Chris

firstturn

Chis,
  Can't answer your question since I am not near my shop, but I will ask one of my own and if it doesn't apply so be it.  Is the nut the same one that came off the steering head?  I had the same problem once and the threads were different.  Haven't had it happen sense but it drove me crazy until I realized when I bought the front end I was rebuilding, the nut was just in the box with other parts[:0].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Chakka

Ron, the nut that wont go on is the original nut that came with the forks. It goes on 2-3 turns and stops. I raided my parts bin and tried a nut from an earlier set of Cerianis, it also goes on 2-3 turns and stops. The stem piece threads seam a bit damaged. I think a die will do the trick, atleast I hope it does.

chris

Dennis D

Try and find a metric thread file. You can lay it in the threads and determine which side of the file to use. Dennis D

Jdbglover

Chris,

Have you tighten down the top ball bearing race holder, beacuse if it is not properly adjusted, this will limit how far down you can turn down the top stem nut.  I know because it took me 1 hour to figure out why the top nut was tight, but the steering stem was still loose.

JOHn

rob w

Hi Chris,

The thread size on that is 27.0 x 1.0 mm. I have several large industrial supply catalogs, I looked for one but could only find 2.0 & 3.0 available. If you discover a place that has them, let me know.

The metric thread restoring file that Dennis mentioned is easy to locate and will have 1.0 on it. With patience they're suppose to work, I've always had one around but never been 100% successful with one.

At VMD this year I bought a pair of leading axle Ceriani's like those, only they were off of a Hercules and have tapered roller bearings instead. I thought someday it'd be fun to transform a Penton frame over to the tapered bearings by fabricating and welding on a new head tube. Or, if anyone has a Hercules frame they don't want, could you please hack off the head tube and send it to me. :D

Good luck with your threads,

RobBob

Chakka

Thanks guys, all very informative stuff. A massive google search revieled on 27.0 x 1.5 dies out there, mostly from European distributors. I guess my best option is the thread file.

Chris

Rain Man

I just measured the one i have and oddly enough its a 26mm X 1.0 thread.[?]   you may have a better chance of obtaining a metric thread file,

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rob w

Raymond,

On the straight leg Ceriani's with 'Arces' triple clamps, the steer tube is 25mm in dia. I have to retract that statement, I really don't know. I measure 1"-24 on those. Could that be non-metric???

The steer tube I checked that is 27mm dia., are the 35mm off-set/leading axle Ceriani's with black lower legs and Ceriani triple clamps.

Bob