Stripped crankshaft

Started by peter kane, January 14, 2005, 10:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter kane

I just got off the phone with Alan Buehner who told me that I do not need to replace my crankshaft with it's stripped threads, but rather that I can pull out the threaded piece (flywheel end) and have a new one pressed in.  I thought it was a single piece and that the threads were cut right onto the shaft.  Questions:  1) Does anyone have any experience in replacing this?  2) Who can do it?  3) What should I expect to pay to have this done?

Also, and I'm not trying to make any more work for the folks who keep this site up and running, but I think it would be extremely useful for all Penton owners who visit here if they would take detailed close-up photos of their bikes and have them posted to another restoration photo section.  Like with Dave McCullough's new bike - it genearted a lot of conversation about the air box.  Maybe those in the know could put together a simple chart of what and how to close-up photograph, like starting with the handlebars, triple clamps, frame, etc.  

For me, I have gained a lot of knowledge just looking at the photos, but I've been frustrated because a leg or something was obscuring a certain detail I was interested in.  

Any ideas?

Peter Kane
[email protected]

peter f. kane
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]

Kip Kern

Peter  It all depends on the engine, some crankshafts are totally rebuildable and some are billet and machined in halves.  I know the "B" Sachs is one piece journals/shafts and an "A" is rebuildable.  All depends on the crank.  Anyone with a good press can do the job, I highly recommend Forest Stahl as he will rebuild and balance your crank.  765-284-7653

Rain Man

Peter,
  Forest stahl in Indiana PN= 765-284-7653  may be able to help you with your crank shaft, He's listed on the suppliers page

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

hrbay

good choice, he just reworked a Puch crank for me and it was done top notch.

GC
GC

Doug Wilford

Peter;
One of the Penton Goups future projects is to write a book with lots of pictures and stories on the Steel Tank models.   They were only built for three years and the changes,upgrades and modifications were constant starting with the first ten that were air freighted, so they could make the show at Daytona 1968.   But most of them got raced at the Stone Mt. National Enduro before Daytona.