Incredible Survivor !!

Started by slvrbrdfxr, January 08, 2005, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slvrbrdfxr

Hi All,
Just wanted to share an incredible stroke of luck. A buddy of mine that lives just south of Tulsa called me yesterday and asked if I'd be interested in buying a Penton that one of his friends wanted to sell. After he described it to me, I jumped in the truck and hightailed it down to his house to see the bike. Turned out to be a real diamond in the rough !! Bike is a 68 Steeltanker serial # V0144. The bike still has most all the original parts on it from the screw on gas cap and Magura controls to the 20" long steel chainguard and Akront shouldered aluminum wheels. I'm not sure what kind of tires came stock but it has some Metzlers on it that look like they could be original. Front tire is a 2.50 X 21 and rear is a 3.50 X 18. Bike still has some old gas in the tank and the fork gators are untorn too. Here's what I considered to be the best part though, I hit it with some starting fluid and it fired up. Needless to say, I couldn't pass this one up so it's now in my garage. I'll try to send some pics to the webmaster so everyone can see it but I'll be glad to email a few pics to anyone interested in seeing it before then. Guess I owe my buddy bigtime for this one !!

Dave McCullough
Tulsa Trail Riders
[email protected]

firstturn

Dave,
  Congratulations.  I am always happy when one of these old bikes turn up and especially  to someone as deserving as you.  I will try and send you a picture of the steel tanker I just bought.  Again, Congratulations.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Lew Mayer

Ron, how rare would a steel tank Jackpiner be?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Big L,
Have you ever seen any Hen's teeth?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Lew, Very rare, I restored one for Mr. Bob Andersohn and at the time, it was the only one I have seen.  It has "Jackpiner" decal on the blue steel tank with white sidepanels, down pipe exiting the left side. (Can be seen on a color brochure from 1970 introducing it).  No displacement designation under Jackpiner but Mr Penton indicated that they had 125cc 5A engines in them which this one did, although there were a few 175cc 5A Sachs engines out there.;)

Lew Mayer

Well, I have a friend who has one. Guess we ought to restore it,huh. Needs a motor. Ron, I may have to build another cast iron 152.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Lew,
  That sounds like a lot of pressure.  I think you should download all that pressure on me and let me purchase the bike;).  Either way you know I will help you.  How are ALL the projects coming?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

cubfan1968

When you guys start filling up your garages with extra Pentons. Just remember the the Penton poor wasteland that is the state of Nebraska. Feel free to help make The Big Red state a Penton rich environment. Your generous nature will be appreciated.:)

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Lew Mayer

Ron,your motor is done and installed in the trialer.Waiting on seat. Piston ordered for JP. Still scrounging parts for the Six Day.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer