Busted Connecting Rod

Started by KJDonovan, January 17, 2005, 06:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

Greetings,

My apologies for all the posts, but I'm anxious to get this bad boy back in the woods....Anyway, I am in the process of rebuilding a 72 JackPiner (black engine) and after splitting the block noticed that the connecting rod is busted where it attaches to the crankshaft.  Does anyone know if the connecting rod alone can be replaced, or should I be hunting for a complete new crankshaft assembly?

Thanks In Advance!

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Kip Kern

Kevin
Yes, the rod can be replaced, check with Al Buehner for a kit.  A good bike shop with a hydraulic press can do the job. Measure the width of the crank journals prior to pressing it apart so it can go back to original after the new rod is installed.

KJDonovan

Kip,

When you say measure the width of the crank journals, do you mean the overall witdth from the outside of one web to the other?

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Larry Perkins

Kevin

You need to take the time to order a service manual reprint.  It will save you tons of questions and probably save you from some mistakes.  Good Luck with your project!

Larry P

Kip Kern

That is correct Kevin, the overall width, less shims and inner races.  Once the crank is rebuilt, you will have to measure the cases and reshim the crank to the cases.

KJDonovan

Kip / Larry,

Thanks for the responses, I spoke with Al Buehner and he has shipped me a new connecting rod kit and bearings.  Also, I do have a service manual that I have been following, but I just want to make sure I do things right the first time.

Thanks!

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint