Sticker/decal removal

Started by tacrac, January 20, 2005, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacrac

I checked the archives without any luck but I am sure some of you have some experience with this. Prior to repainting the tanks I have, I would like to see how they look with a good cleaning and polish but without sanding the old decals off has anyone got an oil/solvent recommendation that will remove them (decals) without ruining paint.

Thanks
Ron

cubfan1968

Hair dryer or heat gun and your fingernail. Its a slow process but it works.

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Rocket

Heat gun and razor blade, very carefully!!  For the leftover glue, I use contact cleaner or Wilbond.  Wilbond you can buy at paint stores, type of a solvent.
Rocket

Tony Price

Once you have the decal off Isopropal alcohol will help on the residue and not attack the gel coat or paint.

If you know any one in the vinyl sign business they have some really spiffy glue removers.

Tony
Tony

James

I liked to use the back or non leading edge of a plastic body filler spreader to scrape and agree on the alchohol it is also very cheap.
James

Yamazuki-Kawahonda all sounds the same to me.. Real bikes were made in Europe
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

tacrac

thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. Since the weather here is a balmy 10 degrees I believe I'll be in the garage this weekend cleaning up some tanks. Now all I have to do is get the rest of a bike to put the tank on, but one must start somewhere right ?
Thanks again
Ron

scott brogan

If you go to a good auto parts store, one that handles paint and body supplies. You should be able to find an aeresol spray can of whats called woodgrian and stripe remover. you spray it on the offending old decal wait five or ten minutes and then scrape off old decal with a plastic bondo spreader. Then to remove the leftover adhesive look for a spray can of adhesive remover and repeat the process. I've used the stuff with great success. Will not harm the gel coat or painted surfaces.
Scott