Maiden Voyage

Started by Mike Horton, February 01, 2005, 01:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

Yesterday made my first trip to the Co. motorcycle park to ride the 73 JP. After 30 years off a bike it was definitely a experience to remember both on and off the trails.   From all the younger riders wanting to know what a Penton was to the half a dozen old guys that said they hadn't seen one of those in 25 years and wanting to talk how great a bike they were/are.  The bike ran great and I think I actually surprised a few people including my myself and my son although in the very rough areas the new bikes definitely appear to have a advantage (or maybe it was just me).  This experience got me wondering - how many of my fellow Pentonites only ride Pentons regularly ? This is what I intend to do, but alot of people tell me I will eventually buy a modern bike. Just wondering.  

P.S. Anybody heard anything about a West coast ride that was     discussed a few months back ?

Mike Horton

crash carden

Mike,I ride my old vintage Penton's everytime I ride because thats all I own. I have two 73 models a Jackpiner and a 73 250 Harescrambler. I am finishing up a complete restoration on a 77 GS Penton. I wanted a 77 because of the longer travel suspension, and it was the last year for the Penton brand. Thats as new of bike I care to have, I love the old Penton's and thats what I will always ride. When ever I ride my Penton's I seem to draw a crowd of old and young people alike. Its cool to see their faces [:0] when you tell them that these are the bikes that put KTM in the dirt bike business [8D].
   Ride'em don't Hide'em ! Crash Carden:GO TEAM PENTON!

tmc3c

Hey Guys, I ride my 76 250GS at all times and the heads do turn when I unload it also! I have a 1970 125 Steel Tanker that I am restoring but I won't bring it into the woods.I have a 95 XR200R but my 250 PENTON works just great and goes plenty fast enough !

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

dkwkid

I ride the vintage bike a few times a year in G.P.s here in California.I almost enjoy watching the races more than racing.Truth be told,I really enjoy my WR250F for most of the year.
Whats really got me stoked is the fact that my 14 year old son wants to race the DKW.I am already teaching him how to shift!:D

rick823n

Mike, I highly recommend that you attend an AHRMA race in Norcal this Spring. You will see Pentons and all manner of other vintage bikes. The upcoming race in Frogtown(Angles Camp) is especially picturesque. There is also a big race at Carnegie this Spring. Dates and directions are on the AHRMA website ahrma.org. Even if you aren't riding these will be a lot of fun to see. Rick Nicholson, Auburn, Ca.

Lew Mayer

I only ride old bikes,specifically,Pentons. After I bought my Jackpiner in 73/4?,I never needed another to race.Did have the odd Kawasaki thrown in there plus a number of street bikes. Penton never made a street bike or I would have one of them.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Mike Lenz

I pretty much only ride, and only race Pentons. I have a 97 Jackpiner 200 but...I like the old bikes better! I espically like the short travel bikes. You just have a feel of the ground you dont get with even a longer travel Penton. Line selection is more critical in races which to me makes the racing more fun since Ive lost my desire to fly so much.