air mixture screw

Started by tmc3c, February 14, 2005, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

What is the correct starting point to set your air mixture screw on a 36mm Bing? All the way in then a turn and a half out?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Thomas
I would say 1-1/2 is a good place to start.
Rocket

tmc3c

Thanks Rod! I thought that was right but wasn't sure.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

Thomas, did you know that an air mixture screw can be used to determine the correct pilot jet? Rod is correct. The Air mixture screw should be about a turn and a half. if it varies more than a half a turn either way you need to change the pilot jet. Get the bike warmed up and then adjust the screw to where the bike is running the best. Then check it. Too far in...bigger pilot is needed, to far out... the next smaller jet is needed. [8D]

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Thanks Thom, I belive I am close now.What was happening is when I am in tight woods I have to fan the clutch to get my revs up when climbing hills.Then when it comes on and I shift into second it bogs again and the comes on again.Greg Holder told me to adjust 1/8 turn and see what happens. I thought me gearing was off.I going riding Friday so we will see what happens.Thanks Again!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

your welcome. Funny thing about those air mixture screws. They need to be adjusted from time to time. That is unless the weather does not change around your house.:) Back when I was alot younger we use to mostly ride in the warmer months and even though it would rain it really did not seem to make much difference. So we never messsed with anything once it was set. But then we did not know anybetter either. When I get to the races I may change it a couple of times during the day. IN the morning if it is rainy and cold. I may turn in in a quarter turn to get the throttle to respond better and in the afternoon if the sun comes out I may turn it back out to what ever my base setting is. The reason for this has to do with how dense the air is. cooler weather means that there is more oxygen per cubic foot and when it gets warmer there is less. What makes it tricky is that when it gets warmer the gas atomizes better even thought there is less oxygen so it is sumwhat off set but not enough to leave it alone. Sure wished I knew this stuff when I was alot younger. Alot of what I do know is because of the fine folks here. like Sir Issac Newton said, and I am not even close to the same league as him..."if I have accomplished anything it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants" Quoted as I remember it.. so the wording could be off just a bit. Good luck on getting it set up the way you like it.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Thank You Thom!! I am trying and like you said I am learning SOOOO much here in POG.When I was flat tracking my father took care of it all now I am playing catch up.I hope that you are able to make it to Mid-Ohio this year.I would love to meet you ! Thanks Again.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler