vintage racing

Started by dkwkid, February 17, 2005, 04:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkwkid

A few years ago I was at a vintage MX race watching for a change instead of racing.In the pits was a nice looking 6 Days which would not start.I went over to the person and offered my help.We pulled the plug and had no spark.I pulled the side cover off and was greeted by a Bosch Magneto.Asked for a business card, tore off a bit and ran it across the points a few times.What do you know? It fired off O.K.The guy claimed I was a miracle man(I wasn,t).It was good to teach someone about things like this.We old timers remember these things but the newcomers wont know unless we tell them.
 Remember to pass on info we learned the hard way- it,s fun and you get to be the bigshot for a day!
P.S. on the same day a guy with a Husky was loaded up and didn,t know what to do. I told him to hold the throttle wide open, turn off the fuel taps and lean the thing over. It cleaned out(I can,t remember if I told him to turn the gas back on!)

firstturn

Glenn,
  Neat story.  I think I still have narrow card stock(index cards) that I started using on go karts at a early age.  The reason I cut the cards was so the would fit in the small opening on the flywheel.  Great memories.  I hate tho think of the guy running out of gas after getting the Husky running[}:)].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mick Milakovic

NOT FUNNY!  I RAN OUT OF GAS AT MID-OHIO THIS YEAR WHILE LEADING MY RACE! [:I] Oh well, a lesson learned...........

Mick