Bing Slide 2/30/102

Started by Tommy_V, February 25, 2005, 01:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_V

I'm trying to do a rebuild of the bing on my 74 Jackpiner.  I've got all the parts, but my slide has the tell tale smiley face.  Not too bad, but easily felt with a finger.  I talked to the bing agency and they have a slide that fits, but where the idle adjustment screw hits on my slide to force the slide up and raise the idle (not the air screw) is a notch in the newer slide.  They said the slide would even accept my enrichener with a little dremel work.  Dennis Jones had mentioned he thought someone (Kip?) was using this newer slide and using the tension in the throttle cable to adjust idle.  Looking for some feedback.  And I know the sound this carb makes when it hits the trashcan! :)  Anyone have a used slide without the notch and smiley face in decent shape?

Thanks!

Tommy
Tommy

peter kane

And... if I can piggyback on this query - should I be concerned about a slight notch at the bottom of the slide from the idle screw?  It doesn't seem to be rubbing on the body.

Bentrims - see what you started with the "BING" noises! :D

Peter Kane
V3442
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
[email protected]

Kip Kern

Kip Here, yes, I bought a 30mm slide from Bing International {minus the choke slide capability, and idle screw slot missing} and ran it at Tulsa for Silver.  There is no idle so I used the throttle stop screw on the Magura if I wanted that, I never use idle!  Also, there is no choke but you don't need a choke when you have a tickler on the carb body.  The carb worked great!;)

Tommy_V

Kip,

Did you get the slide with the notch in the engine side or without?

Thanks!

Tommy
Tommy

Kip Kern

Tommy

If I remember correctly my slides had notches/openings on both sides.  The idle screw wouldn't touch at all and only served as a plug in the carb body.  

Peter, the notch in the slide you speak of, is it the one made from the slide bottoming on the idle screw over the years?  If so, no worry, as long as it doesn't drag inside the slide area, I wouldn't worry about it.

Gavin Housh

Kip, back in the day it was common for desert bikes to use the choke when the bike was held wide open for long periods of time to richen up the mixture a bit to prevent siezure. You are right that today we don't use these bike for that kind of riding and the western deserts are slowly being closed to riding. I don't use any idle on my bikes (that is vintage bikes) either. G man.

peter kane

Thanks Kip.  That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Peter Kane
V3442
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
[email protected]

bentrims

I'm glad to hear that one (BING) is still making smiles.:) They actually have many strengths. It is just a preference based on familiarity. Jaroslav Falta probably still runs a Jikov.[xx(]
Tom B
(Shovelled snow last 2 out of 3 days..leaving for Florida tomorrow)[8D]