Woodruff Key Problem

Started by TomG, March 16, 2005, 10:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomG

I'm working on a restore of a '78 400 and have just found that the slot on the crankshaft where the motoplat woodruff key goes is wallowed out (did I spell that right?).  Anyone have a solution to this, welding, JB Weld, bigger woodruff key?

Thanks

Rocket

Tom
The woodruff key is mainly so the flywheel gets installed in the correct position for timimg purposes.  The taper of the shaft to the flywheel is key important part for not letting the flywheel spin on the shaft.  Make sure both surfaces are clean, use a small amount of a fine lapping compound and lap the flywheel, back and forth action, to the shaft.  That will match the taper's.  Clean both surfaces, install your woodruff key and torque flywheel to spec.  Should be okay.
Rocket

OUCWBOY

Rod is correct. Notice on the Sachs engines, there is not a key of any type to keep the countershaft from turning.
Tom, the boys in the South would spell that with an r in it somewhere.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

TomG

I new I spelled that rong seein as how I'm born and rased in Texas.

Thanks for the info.  This bike is an ebay special and a previous owner must have lost the reverse thread nut on the crank and had tried to use a standard thread one.  Guess I'll try to clean up the threads and see if I can get the flywheel to tighten down.  Thanks again.

Tom