Fork Slider Bushings

Started by tlanders, March 16, 2005, 03:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

I have to change out my fork seals on the 400 about every two races. I finally got lazy last season and just started adding oil before every race - really scientific!!!

Last night I was about to put in new seals when I finally decided that it was time to check out the bronze bushings. They looked really worn. I miked them and found them to be about 0.012" bigger than the fork. I put the slider back on the fork without bolting it in and found that it had an enormous amount of sidewards movement, hence the reason for the short life on the seals. I had ordered some replacement bushings a while ago in anticipation of this day. But now the trouble began, how do you get those bushings out? Has anyone done it? If so, how did you do it?

I ended up having to cut the bushing in two with a dremel and pound it out with a long 1/4" rod coming in through the bottom bolt hole. Maybe there is a spreadable special tool that can be used from the top. I didn't want to take the time to build a special tool.

Now that they are changed out, I am anxious to see how long the seals last.

Teddy

bentrims

Teddy,
Just glad to hear I am not the only ready, willing and able to rely on the science [8D] of KINETIC energy.
Tom B

tlanders

Still looking for anyone who has changed out the bronze bushing in the 35mm fork slider.

Teddy