Preston Petty headlight mounting?

Started by crash carden, March 25, 2005, 01:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash carden

Hello, I have a 70's Preston Petty plastic head light/# plate fixture,I put a new bulb in it and I noticed it has three screw holes around the headlight but no retaining ring or trim ring. Is there supposed to be a trim ring of some sort or just three flat head screws holding the headlight in place[?] I am guessing something is missing as it came with some other old parts and I am not sure what it should have for mounting the head light.I wanted to use it but I don't want to mess it up by not mounting the head light properly. I am use to the old CEV head lights so this is a new one for me.Thanks for any help,Crash Carden GO PENTON!

jchev

I have 2 of the Preston Petty headlight/number plates that I got new
and they did not come with trim rings. The screws go in from the front,
 on the back you have a single retainer on top of the light bulb,
and on the bottom you have a longer retainer with 2 holes for the for mounting the bulb

Jeff Chevalier
Jeff Chevalier

Frenfroe

Do you have a clear lens cover? I don't have one now but I remember mine had a couple of lips on the back that held the rear of the bulb. You dropped the light in the front and covered it with a clear lens cover. 3 screws went from the front through holes in the clear cover and held it all tight. At least that's how mine was put together.

I've seen many that didn't have a cover but didn't look to see how the bulb was held in.

Was there more than one version?

Frank

farmer58za

Hi crash
That clear plastic cover holds the headlight in place like Frank says.
If you are missing this, Paul at strictlyhodaka.com is selling new PP headlight number plates and may have one for you.

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

jchev

I have 2 of the Preston Petty headlight/number plates that I got new
and they did not come with trim rings. The screws go in from the front,
 on the back you have a single retainer on top of the light bulb,
and on the bottom you have a longer retainer with 2 holes for the for mounting the bulb

Jeff Chevalier
Jeff Chevalier

Frenfroe

Do you have a clear lens cover? I don't have one now but I remember mine had a couple of lips on the back that held the rear of the bulb. You dropped the light in the front and covered it with a clear lens cover. 3 screws went from the front through holes in the clear cover and held it all tight. At least that's how mine was put together.

I've seen many that didn't have a cover but didn't look to see how the bulb was held in.

Was there more than one version?

Frank

farmer58za

Hi crash
That clear plastic cover holds the headlight in place like Frank says.
If you are missing this, Paul at strictlyhodaka.com is selling new PP headlight number plates and may have one for you.

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David