Transmission Reassembly / Shifter Drum Position

Started by KJDonovan, April 18, 2005, 08:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

I have been reassembling the bottom end of my 72 Jackpiner and have a question.  First off I got everything back together and I am able to go through all the gears but going from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th it seems to be harder that what it should be.  All of the gear movements seem very mechanical (require quite a bit of effort on the shifter lever) but especially these 2.  I don't know if this is the norm for a dry transmission and the engine not running or I have a problem here.  It took me quite a while to figure out the correct position of the shifter drum to get this far.  When placing the shifter drum in place I did the following.  The right or outside of the shifter drum has 2 slots containing pins for the shifter lever to engage.  On the outside of the drum there are 6 pins and on the inside there are only 5.  I rotated the drum so the spot where there is no pin on the inside of the drum was at about 4 o'clock.  My question is, Am I worrying about nothing here?  I am able to get through all the gears.  Will the shifting be more fluid from centrifugal force when the engine is under power or do I have a problem here that I need to address now.

Thanks in advance,

KD   [?]

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

hrbay

Kevin, I am not going to pretend I know these boxes at all, but my first inclination is to assume that you put all the shims in their proper places. Given this, check the archive here for more on this topic. There is unlimited knowledge and experience on these pages.

GC
GC

Rocket

Kevin
The shifting drum on the 72 motors is a different style than the later motors.  That may be why it seems to shift hard.  The 72 motors have a drum with a "wavy" washer welded on to it and the newer style has a drum with grooves machined in for the shiftng forks.  You don't have to worry about the position of the drum during assembly as long as you can get the shifting forks aligned with the drum.  It kind of self aligns then.  
Rocket

KJDonovan

HrBay,

I did check the archives and found one person with the same problem some time back, but I could not find any resoulition.  The thread was http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2886&SearchTerms=Shifter,Drum

Rocket,

The type of drum you are describing is the one I have, with the wavy washers.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint