New bike, What should I buy?

Started by desmond197, April 09, 2005, 01:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I am thinking about getting a newer ride. 2002 on up. I like two stroke enduro bikes. Any thoughts out there KTM/Gas Gas/Husky wise on what to buy? I friend of mine has a Gas Gas and realy likes it. What do you guys have? Thanks

t20sl

I know it is not a 2 stroke but Honda CRF250X.  Light, electric start and kick.  Kicks easy so you can remove electric. LOTS of power and torque.  Honda also now has CRF450X available. Both start easy whether hot or cold unlike Yamaha 4 bangers.

tmc3c

Dirt Bike mag listed the KTM 300 EXC as one of the best bikes it has in it's arsenal ! The KTM 200 EXC is also a rocket in the tight woods here in the south.The Honda 450 X does have the electric start though.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

atk114

desmond197,

Here is my 2 cents on the topic. I don't believe you can wrong with KTM or Gas Gas 2-strokes. Both makes offer a wonderful product. KTM has a larger dealer network than Gas Gas, but if there is a Gas Gas dealer near you, then no problem.

Come to think of it, if your looking at a 2002 and later, it seems to me their all very good, well built bikes. It may just be a matter of personal preference. Are you looking for something a little different (KTM/Gas Gas/Husky/ATK), or something more mainstream (Honda/Yamaha/etc.)?

Also, very important, and you know this already, is a good dealer. Find one that is friendly, well stocked, and listens to your needs and wants, and knows the product. If you get treated right, then what ever brand you settle on, you'll enjoy.

Best of luck with your new ride, and enjoy!

Keith R. Larson
Keith R. Larson

Keithuu

Desmond;
Having owned nearly 50 dirt bikes in my time, I can tell you (and anyone else who cares) that my 2001 KTM 300 EXC is the absolute best dirt bike I've owned - period. Last fall, I put a new top end on, not cuz' it showed signs of needing it, but because I just thought "it was time", after 3 full seasons of (kind of) hard trailriding and many, many dual sport rides.

I installed a stock size Wiseco piston, which improved the already strong bottom end response. The cylinder walls weren't glazed or scuffed, just needing a light hone to restore the cross-hatch. The carbon I scraped from the head would't have filled a thimble. I run 12oz. of Golden Spectro 2T to 5.5 gal. of pump premium, somewhere around 58:1.

The ring end gap was right on for both the original and replacement rings, indicating virtually zero wear.

As I said, I often ride dual sport with the thing and, despite my 4-stroke-borne detractors, do just fine. It's street legal here in Michigan, with just the addition of a rear brake light switch, one mirror, horn, and hi-lo headlight. With the Clarke 3.1 ga. tank, I get well over 100 miles per tank even under thrashing conditions.

The only carb tweaking required was to lower the needle one notch - that was it, even after adding Enduro Engineering's new lightweight two-stroke exhaust system.

I refer to the bike as a "3-stroke" since while it has all of the good arm-straightening power characteristics of a big bore ring-ding, it can be lugged down to nothing and it will still make good, 4-stroke-like power. I've won many an impromptu drag race with 520 and 525 KTM's and other open-class 4 strokers, despite my 230 lbs.. I guess when I think about it, it's not really a bike for the faint of heart or beginners.

Suspension-wise, Al Randt of Lansing Cycle set the bike up for me when I bought it and I haven't found any settings better than his - being Mike Lafferty's wrench obviously qualifies the guy.

I added the EE tall seat to suit my height (6'2") and a bunch of aftermarket (mainly Enduro Engineering) goodies for "bulletproofing". Other than tire replacement and a couple of sets of brake pads, required maintenance has been nil.

I change gear box oil 2 or 3 times a year, keep the air filter clean, run an in-line fuel filter, and check spokes regularly.

I've thought about updating to a newer bike on many occasions but in truth, other than novelty, I can't come across anything better. I understand the new 300's are "improved", by some standards, but if you can come across a low mileage '01 or '02, I wouldn't even think twice about laying out the bucks. E-start is indeed a wonderful thing, especially when you stall in a swamp or on a steep, sandy hill, but it's still not enough to tip the scales, at least in my case. The 300 starts easily, cold or hot.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed:D

Keithuu
Keithuu

tmc3c

I know one thing and that is the woods has a TON OF ORANGE in it!!!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

desmond197

Thanks for the input I realy did not for some reason consider the 300 so I will check one out. A guy in my bike club has a Gas Gas dealership and is a good guy so I will check out what he has this week. The KTM dealers in my are are not so hot. Any recomendations in FLA. I may try H&H in Atlanta but it is 300 miles away. The Husky folks I have talked to said that parts are a pain to get. I though this may have improved with the new models but it seems to be a continuing problem. I do like the Husky's that I have seen recently.

Kip Kern

Steve, Husky was selling the "04" 100th anniversary addition 125s and some other models out of the warehouse for cheap.  I think the 125's were between 2 and 3K.

tmc3c

Greg Holder has a 2004 Honda CRF250 for sale and it is in mint condition.Honda dealerships are like gas stations they are everywhere.

Greg and myself live in upstate S.C.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tlanders

I love my 2001 200 EXC except the kick starter is on the wrong side.

Teddy

robbersroost1

Desmond 197,  
         I have the same problem with having a good KTM Dealer close, I am 700 miles from H&H, and I've bought 7 or 8 bikes from them and all my parts for years. They are simply one of the most outstanding dealerships that KTM has. As for the Gas Gas they are a great dirt bike. This year I chose to buy a Husky, we have a great dealer in Springfield IL. You will be happy with any of these three.:)

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

Paul Danik

Desmond,
   I was thinking about your question concerning a newer bike selection as I was riding today and I just had to add my 2 cents to this topic.  I have a 1999 KTM 125 EXC and I find it to be a very enjoyable machine to ride, I know that most people think that bigger is better, but for me the 125 is a perfect combination of agility and power for the riding I like to do, the tighter the trail the better I like it. Also, the 125 is so simple to kick over and start compared to the larger machines.  My son has the 200 EXC and I really don't like it as much, to me there is something special about working a small bore machine through the trails and having to carry as much momentum as you can to make up for instant power on demand. In reading your other post about the type of vintage machines that you like to restore and ride I think that you too just might be a small bore junkie.  I also enjoy looking at my KTM parked next to my "68" steel tanker and realizing how great it has been to have witnessed this evolution! :D
   Again, just my 2 cents! Good luck.
Paul
PS  I am 52 years old and tip the scales at about 200 and that 125 EXC will make my eyes water in top gears on the pipe!

Young Ted

Paul - Doug can make your eyes water in the parking lot without gears or pipe.

The Trouble Maker

desmond197

Thanks for the input Paul. I have always been faster on the smaller bikes. I have a VOR 504 which is OK but I am not much of a 4 stroke fan, it doesn't match my riding style. The VOR revs well for a 4 stroke but it makes power in the wrong places for the way I ride. Most of the guys I know with new bikes have the big bore bikes but I am leaning toward the small bikes again. I think I need to ride a 300 and a 125 and decide. Thanks again to all who ansered my questions.