Koni shock rebuild

Started by lksseven, November 03, 2005, 11:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lksseven

My poor rear Koni's on my 74sixday are worn out and leaking.  Does anyone rebuild them?  Who?  How much?  How contact them?

Also, I have seen ads for Ohlin Classic MX retro shocks - does anyone know anything about them (seen them in person?  heard grapevine info about them?)?

So good to be back on!

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

Big Mac

Larry,
There was a very recent long thread on rebuilding Koni's on Weedy's CZ chat group. They have a tech site associated, and the rebuild details are posted there. Lee Holtz, who is associated with Calvmx.com was the source of the rebuild instructions, I believe.

All I know about Ohlin MX retro shocks is that they are un-Godly expensive and some of the rich guys swear by them. I, on the other hand, find that a pair of rebuilt $50 Curnutts do the trick well enough for me.

Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

socalmx

I have a pair of Koni shocks that I have been running for years. Even though they were still working ok, I recently took them off to put on a pair of Curnutt shocks. I used Curnutts in the day and still believe that they are the way to go(if you can find a pair). The real nice thing about them is that they were designed to be rebuildable at home with a standard seal and simple ATF.

lksseven

Just found retail pricing on Ohlin 36D Classic rear shocks .... Oh My God, I about passed out when I heard the price.

$504.90

Maybe I'll just put some foam in my pants  :D

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

Gavin Housh

Five hundred dollars is not such a big deal when you have to pay over three hundred for the aluminum bodied Works Performance shocks. The Works shocks have nothing more than an aluminum piston with four holes drilled in it with one hole controled by a ballbearing operated check valve. The only way that you can change the damping caracteristics is to change the size of the holes in the piston or change oil viscosity. Works hasn't changed this design since they first came on the market in the seventies. The reason they do this is because it's cheap and easy to produce. Most people don't know what they would change about a shock if you asked them how to make it work better. Even Bob Hannah couln't tell the mechanic what was going on with the bike for some of his early years. So it's not a bad thing to buy a shock based on what someone tells you. From what I hear the Ohlin shock is the best thing going. I personaly am using the old emulsion Fox Shox. When I can no longer get seals and such for these I too will be ridding the Ohlin shocks. Just my two cents, G Man.