Conical rear hub

Started by Randy Lamp, November 21, 2005, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Lamp

Does anyone know what the reasoning was behind going to the conical rear hub design on later Jackpiners? Is it stronger, lighter,better brakes? Would it be recommended on a Jackpiner built for moto cross?

Thanks for any input you might be able to offer.

Randy Lamp
Massillon ,Ohio

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Randy,
I think you're right on all counts. Conical hub would be stronger, better (larger) brakes, and maybe a little lighter weight. I would definitely recommend it for motocross. It wouldn't be a easy conversion unless you're changing frames, as the brake rod, etc. is on the opposite side.

wolfmanonapenton

You have to be careful because I think the older aluminum(grey) once polished have a better shelf life as well as salvage yard life when been full of water left laying out in the weather before the penton(rescue)?Some of my bikes with the black conical and the blackmagnesium front hubs have stress cracks just from cold or someone years ago that laced the wheel getting to tight on the one side that will eventually cause it to crack from 30+ years of stress and cold so be careful and look at hubs carefully?Be safe!Wolfman[B)]you ever have a hub colapse you'll have real troubles![xx(]