"Special KTM Tuning"

Started by CWilson, November 10, 2005, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWilson

My 1975 Six Days had the "Special KTM Tuning" sticker on the righthand sidecover.  What was done at the factory to my motor?  Just curious.  Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson

VICTOR MONZ

A "Special KTM Tuning" sticker was placed on the right side cover!

Just kidding, I have a similar motor and would like to find out the same.

OUCWBOY

I have a 1974 1/2 With a 1251/6D GS Engine and it has that sticker on both the ignition and the clutch cover.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Right or Wrong I will tell you my thoughts before the real experts tell us what it really means.........  The engines (Sachs) were updated naturally as time past.  This is only a natural progression of any manufacturer.  I feel the stickers were part Merchandising and Advertising ploy to go along with the lets say 1974 Penton 100/125.  I say this because I have seen the stickers on both B an D engines.  That isn't to say that a Dealer or owner didn't order the stickers and put them on the B engined bikes.
 I feel mostly the stickers were for the D engines, but as we all know KTM used what was avaliable when building bikes.  I know at during my Days at Honda though market research a sticker could mean the difference of a sale or someone buying another brand.
  Just my take.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

BrianTaylor

We took our 125 sd right out of the cardboard crate from Penton Imports in May 74 all had Ktm special tunning both sides B motors ..BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

CWilson

Will someone who knows please answer my question?  Pretty please?!!

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson

Paul Danik

Craig,

From what I have been told and from the factory pictures that I have seen, the special tuning all took place within the cylinder.  The ports were cleaned up and matched, possibly enlarged a tad for a little more performace, but mostly cleaned up.

On page 103 of the KTM history book by Friedrich F. Eln, there is a picture of about 16 Sachs engines at the KTM factory, one group has the cylinder removed and the other group has the cylinder attached. The caption for the picture, as well as the rest of the book, is in Italian so it isn't much help, but it does show what area was getting the attention. This book was also available in German but that also would not be of much help to me.

I also vaguely remember that the timing was set to Penton/KTM specs.

Possibly Dane or Doug can add to what has been said, guys!!!

As far as the stickers, in that era many machines were using the Sachs engines and the sticker would let the buyer know that the Penton Sachs engine was BETTER than the one in that DKW, Sachs, Dalesman, Saracen, Tyran, Sprite, Wassell,......

Great question,
Paul