SIXPINER?175

Started by six dazed, November 14, 2005, 12:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

six dazed

HI GUYS,JUST SITTING HERE LOOKING AT MY FRESH JACKPINER MOTOR (WAITING FOR ITS FRAME TO ARRIVE)AND MY SIX DAYS ROLLING CHASSIS,KEEP LOOKING BACK AND FORTH,BACK AND FORTH,YOU CAN GUESS WHAT I'M THINKING.HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE DONE THIS(PINER MOTOR INTO SIXDAYS FRAME)?IF SO,WHAT MODS TO THE FRAME ARE NEEDED(IT LOOKS CLOSE BUT I HAVEN'T TRIED YET)AND HOW DOES IT WORK?I HAVE A GREAT WELDER WHO CAN DO THE IMPOSSIBLE(OR CLOSE TO IT)AND HE HAS CREATED A FEW NICE MONGRELS.WITH MY 35MM'S AND VINTAGE LEGAL OHLINS........-I'M GOING BACK TO GARAGE BE BACK LATER!!!THANKS,RIC EMMAL  11 PENTONS-WON'T LIST NOW,- I GOTTA GO CHECK THIS OUT!!

ric emmal
ric emmal

Tony Price

Six Dazed,

Your biggest challenge will be the rear motor mounts and the swing arm.  I would wait until you get your Piner frame back and compare it to your Six Days.  You will see a significant difference.

If you really want a cool conversion and have a spare CMF frame laying around, "cover your eyes purists....", stick a Can Am 175 TNT motor in the CMF!

On a sort of persoal note, I would kindly ask that you please do not use all caps in your posts.  It is not only difficult to read, but in "web speak" is equivalent to shouting.

Regards, and welcome to the group.  Cool handle, by the way!

Tony
Tony

six dazed

sorry tony, didn't mean to shout.theres enough of that going on in other posts!...been a member since 2002 but my info must have been lost in crash.my frame came today and its beautiful (thanks jeff reid!).i'm putting the motor where it belongs,in the piner frame.i do have another 175 motor and cmf frame though....................see ya,ric

ric emmal
ric emmal

Paul Danik

ric
   The first production year Jackpiners actually were built around the same frame as the 100 and 125cc CMF machines. These early Jackpiners are the ones with the #7 prefix in the frame serial number. The second year Jackpiners have a totally different frame with conical hubs and many other changes.
Paul

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

ric
   The first production year Jackpiners actually were built around the same frame as the 100 and 125cc CMF machines. These early Jackpiners are the ones with the #7 prefix in the frame serial number. The second year Jackpiners have a totally different frame with conical hubs and many other changes.
Paul

Are these 71 or early 72 Piners?  I think I want one!

Tony
Tony

OUCWBOY

Tony,
Although they were built in 71, they were a 72 year model.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Paul Danik

In the POG photo gallery section check out the 2005 POG/KTM Day At The AMA pictures, on the 4th page of pictures # 33,34,35,36 are the early Jackpiners in the 100-125 CMF style frame, picture # 37 is the new style frame.  Check out the rear sprocket carrier area and you will see some major differences.  All of the machines were lined up that day by serial number and the pictures are posted in that same order and it gives us a glimpse of how the evolution of these machines occured.
Paul

six dazed

i'll have to look at my black motored piner closer when i get home from work, but it starts with a 7 301 vin.does that make it a 73?its frame look very similar to the 125's,while my 74 piner frame looks different though i haven't totally unwrapped it yet.well,gotta go work on some modern bikes(boo!)to put more pentons in the garage.more later.thanks,ric

ric emmal
ric emmal

tlanders

I put a reed valved 400 engine in that early first low breather Piner frame last winter and have named the bike "my rocket". I beefed up a few of the brackets and converted the rear brake to a conical hub version and am using the 1974.5 swingarm. It is very light, in fact it is lighter than my 1974.5 Piner that sports the heaviest frame Penton ever made. I made the conversion for two reasons, the fork angle is steeper and the steering faster on the 1972 frame and the second reason is that it is lighter.

This winters project is to do the same thing again but this time put a lightweight '79 Piner engine in it, the one with the short piston, shorter cylinder, smaller head and snake pipe. I can't wait to eat up those Can Ams with it!!!!

Teddy

Paul Danik

ric,
  It looks like you have one of the first year Piners in the 100/125 style CMF frame. The 7 prefix was used on these frames and the 301 is Jan. of 1973.  We have recorded frame numbers from those machines from June of 1972 (206) till June of 73 ( 306 ).

Teddy,
   What forks are you running, 32 or 35 mm?

Paul

tlanders

Paul,

On the 400 I used the 35mm forks. I am debating what to use on the "new light" Piner. I have a pair of 32s, that I intend to weigh and compare to the 35s. I just hate to give up about an inch of travel with the 32s versus the 35s. I believe the 32s have about a 6" travel versus the 7" travel of the 35s. Do you the "official' travel of these two forks? I have not actually measured them. Obviously, I would have to order different length shocks depending on which forks I use to keep the bike horizontal.

Teddy

six dazed

Paul,ok i think i got the picture.my 74 piner frame is more like my 250 frame, while the black motored piner frame is closer to 125.am i now on the right track?is there much of a weight difference between early piner and 125 frames?thanks for all your input guys.see ya,ric

ric emmal
ric emmal

rob w

Teddy,

Remember if purchasing a set a 32mm forks, there were 2 versions. The early '72, 32mm forks were shorter and narrower. Then later in '72 and '73 the 32's were 1 1/2" taller, with wider and stronger triple clamps. (Wider...? oh, so that's why I had so much difficulty trying to fit that front fork brace.) :D
Pull out your Still...Keeping Track Issue #22, it's in there.
I'm not sure at the moment in the differences of travel, but let me know if you need that info, got some of each and it won't be any trouble.

Today, battling the first snow storm of the season. Yippee, I'm thrilled....not.
Take care,
Bob

Tony Price

Well, Gooooolllyyyy Sgt Carter,  Who'da thunk I wuz so close to having a Piner, of sorts.......

Gotta go pay closer attention to my fellow local POGGER's small herd of 72's!

Tony
Tony

tlanders

Thanks AirBob,

I wonder if I have that issue of SKT? I'll look. Do you know what it says the travel was for these two different length 32s?

Still looking forward to seeing AirBob catch some more air!!!!

Teddy