swing arm removal & reassembly

Started by cubfan1968, November 22, 2005, 08:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

I'm having the frame of my new project powder coated. My next step is to remove the swing arm. Any tips the membership could give in shortening the learning curve for me would be much appreciated. Also,my wife,dog and neighbors would also appreciate any help you could give me.

1st question what size allen head does the swing arm take? My set goes to just 10mm so I need to hunt down the correct size. Looks like 14mm.

Reassembly tips would be appreciated also.

Rod Whitman
1972 6 Day (Rider)
1972 6 Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Rod,
Loosen or remove pinch bolt (8mm).
Remove swingarm bolt (12mm).
I usually use my air impact wrench to remove the swingarm bolt as they are usually pretty tight.
Make sure you torque the swingarm bolt to specs when you reassemble it.

rob w

Hi Rod, Hi Randy,

*For disassembly

12mm hex (Allen) wrench
+
pipe
------
= more leverage

john durrill

Rob , Randy
 We could only find the torque spec for the swing arm bolt in one place in all the books we have. It was listed at 75 ft Lbs. Do you folks have any other # for the torque for that bolt?
John D.

Randy Kirkbride

John,
I have a Penton 'SET-UP CHECK LIST' that was attached to the handlebars on new Pentons. Check #15 says 'Check and tighten swingarm bolt. 75 ft.lbs. Looks like you have the right info.

Paul Danik

I always coat my swingarm bolt and threads with Anti-Sieze, also use it on my motor mount bolts so that they retighten and remove easily, even use it on spoke threads when putting a wheel together.
I have taken some of those old machines apart years later and it sure makes a difference.
Paul

rd400pi

Poggers,
  A word of caution...  75 foot/pounds is a bunch of torque.  Be careful, as you stand a chance of dorking up the allen cap prior to the 75 ft/lb "click".  Good luck.

Mike H.

cubfan1968

Thanks guys I got the bolt off without a hitch. I read some archived posts about taking the swingarm to a machine shop to get the bushings out. I'll probably do the same. Thanks for all the advice.

Rod Whitman
1972 6 Day (Rider)
1972 6 Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)