Steel tanker front end removal-

Started by clayman, November 27, 2005, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

Could someone please advise me of the proper way to remove a front end from a 1971 Penton steel tanker? I got the steering stem nut off, loosened all of the allen head bolts and tried to gently tap the upper triple clamp off. The forks and triples are primo and I don't want to damage them. There is an aparatus that snugs down tightly at the bottom of the stem- do I need a special tool for that?

I'd like to just remove the upper triple clamp and then slide the forks out of the bottom, but they seem stuck. Will the upper triple clamp slide over the fork caps without removing them? One of the fork caps won't come off and the other will, so "I'm Stuckville in Salem", so to speak.

Thanks!

t20sl

Clayman:  Fork tube top caps must be removed to slide forks down out of crown.  I usually take a plastic mallet or a solid piece of plastic and hammer to tap the caps down after loosening them about 1 - 2 turns.

tmc3c

Hey Clayman,Here is an helpful trick my brother Ron told me and that is to loosen the bottom allen bolt in the bottom of the fork while they are still in the triple clamps so you don't have to use the vise.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler