TECH TIP FOUND ON ANOTHER SITE

Started by gooey, July 24, 2001, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooey

NOT exactly what the restorers wanna do,,, but the riders/racers may try it ... I have visualized it and it sounds ok,,, this guy tried it on a Maico,,, the way I remember my Pento air boot,,, things were a lil off center,, may be worth a try though .... you decide !

Here it is

A phone call to a Can Am dealer in Texas yesterday, prompted me to share this with you all. I was looking for an air-boot for an MXII 250, and heres what he told me to do: Go to an auto parts store and get a CV joint rubber boot. Take the air box with you so you know what size you need for the rear, then, cut it back on the smaller end until you get it just around the size of the rear bell on the carb. Fold it in, then slip it over the bell of the carb. This worked so well, I had to tell you about it. The large end was a perfect "snug" fit, and the smaller end was also perfect after a little trim work. It may not be the answer for all bikes, especially ones that have more of an S shape too them, but for any other bike with a straight boot on it, this is a great fix. Can't beat it for $14.00, and the rubber is much thicker and more pliable than any air boot I have ever seen. I paid $35.00 for a 79 Maico 250 air-boot, and this looks exactly the same, only thicker.