The old days...............

Started by rob w, January 15, 2006, 03:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

I like spending time surfing the web for historical pictures and stories.
I hope you will enjoy some of these images.
They are not from an era that most of us can easily relate to in our motorcycle experiences.
Alot of us were not even born when these events happened.
They are not stories/images of Jack Penton, or Marty Smith,
not even John Penton or Torsten Hallman.
These are the true roots of where we began.
The machines are so different.
Yet studying the eyes of the competitors, I sense these men possess the same passion for their bikes and their sport that we hold today.
In some respects little in this sport has changed. That's good.
Maybe it's the black and white photography and the style of their dress that appears dramatic and romantic.
In 55 years, times have certainly changed, but no matter what era or generation the machines or riders came from, I can relate and appreciate.  
Hope you find these shots as interesting as I.

http://www.speedtracktales.co.uk/6857.html

Bob W

LynnCamp

Wow -- what a gem!
Do you know who is putting it together?

DKWRACER

O-bierto! As a fan of ole tyme b/w photos, I am also reminded of a history of the great men and their "flying machines". Twas a simpler era, when you could just travel to find "speedee" info in "the shop" I can't imagine what it would have been like to discover new old technology "in the day".... You are right, not even been born yet, and yet we enjoy something called the internet. Thanks very much for the history!!!! Thanks, Tom...
Thomas Brosius

rob w

Lynn,
I don't know who's responsible for creating that site, but I do know folks in the UK and elsewhere in Europe are really proud of their heritage relating to motorsports.  
We also have the resources in the U.S. to create a site relating to our offroad history, the reins of desire just have'nt landed in the hands of the right driver yet.
I find the greatest amount of information leading back to the past from the old AMA magazines named "American Motorcycling" and another mag named "Cycle" by Floyd Clymer dating back to 1949.
Yes L.T. I love the B & W.
On that site, in the 1949 category, there's a picture of a 18 yr. old or so Tom McDermott. Very cool.

L.T. I'll be getting with you and progressing on that "thing" this week.

Ra'bert'o

jackpinejim

A big thankyou Bob for your efforts in searching out these great sites! After seeing all those Beezers, AJ's, Royal Cornfields etc., reminds me of my first ride, a new 1951 BSA Bantam 125cc bought from Penton Brothers Motorcycle shop, the newly renovated 'chicken coop!
After two years of two stroken, John found a 1947 BSA 350 basket case for me. Thanks to a two hour time limit, I was able to finish  my first enduro, 1953 Jackpine! What a ride that was, engine never missed a beat, even with Joe Lucas electrics, great telescopic forks, but no plunger rear suspension like my Batam had. Talk about gettin your butt beat, old abandoned railroad bed with half rotten ties just about done me in. Ahhh such memories! Thank you again.

Jim

rob w

Hi Jim,
 No, I must thank you ! It's stories like yours that I'm really pleased to hear, and am in search of.
 Since I became associated with this group I have been blessed with so many new joyful, and rewarding experiences.
 But I have to say by far the number one thing I've received and feel so thankful for, are all the wonderful and interesting new friends I've met who have truely enriched my love for this sport/past-time, each in their own way.
 That probably come's off as being abit dramatic to some, but let me say...I've been consumed with motorcycling for 38 years and I think I've just about tried it all. But it was'nt until I started riding (the now) vintage bikes, and becoming associated with motorcyclist of a common past, that I've felt completely fulfilled in my quest for motorcycle happiness.
 The common denominator that got us together is the motorcycle, but folks like yourself and sharing our relative stories of the past are to me, a vital factor that keep us together, and keep me coming back for more.
Now if we could just find the time and place, and a big ol' camp fire....I'd like to hear more of that story in person. :)

Thanks
Rob W

BrianTaylor

Rob if you like old b/w photos here is a site of a friend of mine I like the ISDT photos .. enjoy BT
http://www.billpetro.tv/billwebs/motorcycle_racing.htm

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by BrianTaylor

Rob if you like old b/w photos here is a site of a friend of mine I like the ISDT photos .. enjoy BT
http://www.billpetro.tv/billwebs/motorcycle_racing.htm

Brian Taylor

Sweet sauer memories coming back.:((ISDT 1972 Czecho.)
# 305 is Speedy in one of his not so good ISDTs.[V]
Anyway,thanks BRIAN.:)
Helmut.

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.
KTM Adventure 02

LynnCamp

Bill,
God bless you for sharing!  I am speechless.  I feel like I died and went to heaven.  Not only is it a fabulous collection of motorcycle memorobilia/memories, but many of these photos are works of art.

Thank you and thank your friend!

Ed -- I see a book here!!!!

rob w

B.T.

Thank you for opening that treasure chest.
I've been enjoying it's contents for over an hour, and will certainly be revisiting.
It's really a great collection, I like where he's been, and I'd love to buy a few pieces from him someday.  
When you see Bill Petro, please tell him how much his work is appreciated.
Thanks
RobW

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

B.T.

Thank you for opening that treasure chest.
I've been enjoying it's contents for over an hour, and will certainly be revisiting.
It's really a great collection, I like where he's been, and I'd love to buy a few pieces from him someday.  
When you see Bill Petro, please tell him how much his work is appreciated.
Thanks
RobW

Yes BILL is a great guy,I know him for many years.But he is getting old and takes it a bit easier now,.:D:D:D

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
Sachs MC-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.

jackpinejim

Brian Thanks to you also for Bill Petros' site! I've only looked at the 72 ISDT pictures so far, but I found John Penton 05a04, Jeff Penton 08a34, Penton mc and Jack Penton possibly? 12a17, and Jack Penton 12a19, just priceless! Gotta go and look at the rest of them.

Jim

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by jackpinejim

Brian Thanks to you also for Bill Petros' site! I've only looked at the 72 ISDT pictures so far, but I found John Penton 05a04, Jeff Penton 08a34, Penton mc and Jack Penton possibly? 12a17, and Jack Penton 12a19, just priceless! Gotta go and look at the rest of them.

Jim

You will find a lot of pics of SPEEDY,..too,...--->>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
Sachs MC-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.

jackpinejim

Speedy, I finally got wise after reading your first post again and picked up on your number.First picture on page one, and several more, cool! I have a few questions  when I see you at POG meeting at AMA.

See you then,    Jim

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by jackpinejim

Speedy, I finally got wise after reading your first post again and picked up on your number.First picture on page one, and several more, cool! I have a few questions  when I see you at POG meeting at AMA.

See you then,    Jim

I hope the weather will be in my traveling plan.[?]:(
Speedy-=========>>>>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
Sachs MC-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A