Correct Tank Decal(s)

Started by imported_n/a, January 28, 2006, 11:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, I have an early 74 (Apr) Six Day 125 with what I call the "post-toaster" tank. You all know, the one after the toaster tank and before the watermelon tank. The bike appears to be completely original from top to bottom. Question is: what is the correct tank decal for this tank? It came to me with the small decals and the 2 white lines under "Penton" and "Six Day 123cc" on the upper/front part of the tank and they appear to have been the orignals. In fact, I've since replaced them with the same ones. I've only seen 1 other Penton, a 250 HS, that has this tank with those decals, all others with this "post-toaster" tank that I'm seeing, regardless of year (74 or 75) have the large/long/wide PENTON decal that we're all familiar with. I've always assumed the large decals began in 1975. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris H.

Rocket

I would like to see a picture of the tank you are talking about.  I only know of 2 enduro style tanks, the toaster and the watermelon.  Do you have the small MX tank by chance?
Rocket

Chakka

Im with Rocket, I would like to see a picture. The only enduro tanks in fiberglass are the Toaster style, 72-74, the Watermelon, 74-early 76 and the new style toaster, 76-77 this one has the "L" stripe. Oh also in 77 the tank thats a cross between MX and Enduro.

imported_n/a

sorry, my mistake, it's the same tank that's on a '75. i call them "post toasters" because they're still notched on the sides but not as boxy or tall as say a '72 or '73. it's gotta be what everyone calls a "watermelon" but then what are tanks I'm seeing that are the same shape without  notched sides? must be aftemarket or small MX  stuff? anyway, since it's a "watermelon" tank, can you tell me what decal(s) is correct for an early '74? thanks for keeping me straight on the jargon! :)

chris h.

Chakka

Chris,

Look through the photo section of POG and try to identify which style tank your bike has. A 74' vintage Penton would have the white and black stripe decal like in this picture:
http://gallery.pentonusa.org/gallery/album06/DSC09460

Also look at my bike, a 74' Six Day with toaster tank and the correct decals:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b60/chakka141/

hope that helps
Chakka

OUCWBOY

Chris,
Depending on the month of production, your 74 Six Day could have a tank that looks like this as well.
http://gallery.pentonusa.org/gallery/album06/DSC09461
My 1974 is a July bike and has the above tank.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Chakka

Your right Donny, I tried to pick a picture that showed the MX tank and the watermellon style. Basically the long white and black tank stipe would be used whether on a Toaster, Watermellon or MX in 74', 75 as well for that matter. Oh thanks for the brake switch clip, such a small part but one I needed bad.
Chakka

checkcrew

guys, clear this up for me, my 6day's #'s start 310 with 35mm forks and multi shock position swingarm, would you consider this a 73 or 74, tank has the long Penton decal on it but i am not sure if it is origional, any input would be great, thanks all !!

Mike Gallagher -          73 Jackpiner, 74 Six Day
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Lew Mayer

It was a late 73 manufacture date so it's actually considered a 74 because of the 35 MM forks and long travel rear end. Does that sound right guys?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Chakka

That sounds right to me. I think we have discovered from the variations of Penton's that they didn't wait until a new model year like a Japanese manufacturer might, to roll out improvments. If they came up with somthing that made the bike better it was phased into production. That's what makes restoring these bikes so much fun.
Chakka

OUCWBOY

Funny thing is my 74 1/2 is dated 407 with the watermellon style tank, 35mm forks and a 1251/6D engine, but without the multi shock position swing arm.
Chakka, not a problem. As you are finding out, some of the little things are the hardest to find.
I saw the delivery of NEW Pentons back in the day and two would come in in the same shipment and would be different in some little way. I witnessed this as early as the spring of 69 thru the fall of 73. I am sure it went on past that, but I was out of the loop for many years in the military.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR