Fork leg questions

Started by Steve Minor, July 19, 2007, 07:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

(1) Any recommended solvent to flush out my 6-Day forks? I thought I'd pour some sort of solvent in and work them up and down until clean....then refill with fresh fork oil....which brings up question #2.

(2) Can someone comfirm that the fork capacity is 200cc of fork oil? They are stock Ceriani 32's.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

t20sl

rfpotter

Steve,
In my owner's manual, on page 12, in the "Operation and Maintenance" section, while it does say to add 200 cc of fluid, there is a typed in addendum "32mm use 135 cc in each leg".
It is my understanding that that is the correct amount. Someone may correct me.

Patrick Houston
Cosby, Tennessee

Steve Minor

Thanks Patrick.....I too have a few manuals with typed addendums and hand written notes in them. I'm afraid to trust them.
Maybe someone can verify.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Merlin

............springs out,forks bottomed,oil 6" from top.......................
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

3putt

Merlin, can this method be used with all sizes and manufacturers ? Regards, Nelson

Mike OReilly

I've got old (32mm. forks, Amal carb, Girling shocks, alloy fenders) and newer manuals for the Jackpiner.
It is pretty clear that the 32's take 135cc. The spec. for the 35mm forks ranges anywhere from 180-200cc at different places in the manual. I always used 190 for the 35's.
Mike

tlanders

Merlin,

I used to measure the oil from the top with the forks all the way up but now measure it from the top with the forks all the way down and of course springs out. It is easier for one person to do. Do you see any disadvantage to this method?

Teddy

john durrill

Steve,
 Fork legs are a casting in most cases so its better to do a measurement  ( ie. , 6 " down from the top ) instead of just adding say 135 cc's to each leg. I think the important thing is the level be equal in each leg for the hydraulics  to do the job best. With the legs being cast they have different volumes inside.
 My 73 CMF 125 riders book says 135 CC's for the small ( 32 mm ) diameter forks. I would take the fork springs out. Let the forks drop till they are bottomed out , add 135 CC's to one leg. Measure down from the top to find the level and add enough oil to get the same measurement on the other leg.
 10 wt is recommended . Works well with a 165 to 175 LB rider for enduro or trails. If you weigh a bit more you could use 20 WT or ATF and see how you like it.
 If ATF works ok in your tranny  and the forks then you can buy it by the gallon at the auto parts store. It's what we used to do in days gone by with no bad effects.
I would just change the oil more often every few months or every wet ride. We rode in so much water that we had to change the oil almost every ride anyway.
 Mineral spirits or kerosene should help with the clean out on assembled for legs ( it's what we use ). You might want to take the screw out of the fork leg caps and make sure the spring and ball are free and not rusted up. Also make sure the vent hole is clear.
 Hope this is some help
 John D.

Merlin

........sorry for the delay,my old computer wigged out at full boost........method of measure for fork oil level,I have only used the collapsed method,mainly because I use a gauge made from a piece of aluminum wire for the gauge and usually do this off the bike,to do this on the bike I use a tie down while the bike is on a stand. Extended would probably be OK if you see the gauge touch the oil or use a syringe type fork tool.........about the only fork I use a volume measurement on are external spring Maico's.........
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".