70 Steeltank question

Started by lksseven, February 13, 2006, 03:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lksseven

How does the front of the motor bolt to the frame?  Are the front motor mounts separate pieces that bolt onto the frame, and then you bolt the motor to the attachment?

I wasn't going to start looking real close at this '70 restore project until mid March, but I can't help it.  I'll take a bunch of detailed pics and post them this week.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

slvrbrdfxr

Larry,
Brackets are used on the steeltanker bikes to mount the engine up front. On the early bikes there were a pair of triangular shaped brackets bolted to the frame and then a single bolt passes through the pair of brackets and front of the engine cases. On the later bikes there is a shallow "U shaped" bracket that bolts to the frame then the front motor mount bolt passes through the "U bracket" and front of the engine cases. I have some pictures of both types that I can send so you can see the difference. I suspect your bike will most likely need the later style "L bracket" mount. Let me know if I can help you with your steeltanker.
Dave McCullough

firstturn

Larry,
  You need to come down and take pictures of my '70 or I will doit for you.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

lksseven

Dave,  yes, please send me some pics.  

Ron,  I want to get down there sometime in the next couple of months or so, if I can.  Actually, I'd for my daughter to go to Univ of Texas (can you believe an OU grad is saying that!) and then I'd have double reasons to come down a lot, and then she'd stay in the area after she graduates, and I'd move to the Hill Country to retire ..... oh, well, it doesn't cost much to daydream!

I've got a lot of work to do before I need to be concerned about many of the details of this Steeltanker.  So time isn't a pressing concern at the moment.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time