POG webmaster on Daytona preshow

Started by Paul Danik, February 18, 2006, 09:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Besides having a real passion for Penton motorcycles, POG webmaster Bill Smith is also an avid high wheel bicycle rider.  Bill's interest in high wheel bicycles took him, and a number of his fellow Wheelmen bicycle club members, to Ormond Beach, Florida recently.  The Wheelmen were participating in the Stanley Land Speed Record Centennial celebration.

Dave Despain, who most of you are familier with, was on hand to do some filming for a show that he was putting together. The show is supposed to air tomorrow morning at 10am on the Speed Channel.  Dave filmed Bill riding his high wheel on the beach and also asked him, and several of his Wheelmen club members, to help recreate the look of a long ago era as they were dressed in period attire.
Dave told Bill to besure to watch the show as he hoped to use the Wheelmen footage.  When Bill mentioned to Dave that he was also a Penton enthusiast, Dave told of the time that he was in the hospital with a rather serious problem and John Penton "broke in" to pay him a visit and bulster his spirits.

I believe that the show is titled "Why Daytona", it is supposed to air on the Speed Channel at 10am Sunday morning.  I wonder if Bill had his POG membership decal on his high wheel:D

rob w

Alright, yeah Bill! I'm happy for you, and the very deserving exposure your high-wheeler's have earned.
I'm pretty sure I don't have enough tin foil in the house to get that channel in. I'm sorry I'll have to miss it, I hope someone will tape it.
Here's an idea....transfer it over to run on the new POG Video Gallery ?
Congrats Bill,

Bob

firstturn

Rob & Paul,
  If nothing else I think it picture should be included in Featured Bikes??  

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

http://gallery.thewheelmen.org/gallery/album18/DSC00270 says alot.

or

http://gallery.thewheelmen.org/gallery/album18?page=8
Bottom row, center picture, 2nd from left.
Or middle row, far right picture, 2nd from left.

There's not alot of pictures of Bill, like in the POG, he's always the one holding the camera. :-)

Admin

Paul, Rob and Ron,
I must apologize for not seeing this message sooner.  And I must also apologize for not making the "cut".  Dave Despain and Speed Channel spent the whole morning filming the Stanley Land Speed Record Centennial celebration (which I was part of) but only used a minute or so of the footage in the hour long program.  The program took you through 103 years of history on the beach, so I could see why they did not dwell on one area too long.

As Paul stated, it was fun talking to Dave Despain about John Penton.  I also got to meet Jack Roush and Big Daddy Don Garlits.

This is the third time my two hobbies have crossed paths.  The first time was when I was asked to bring my highwheel bike to the POG Family night meeting a couple of years ago.  The second was the most recent Penton Day at AMA meeting when Paul asked me to speak about some of my highwheel bike adventures.  And the third was talking to Dave Despain.  All of these times have meant a great deal to me...

Do any of your Penton interests ever cross over into your other hobbies?

Doug Wilford

Bill;
Now that you mention, hobbies crossing paths.   When I was out of touch with motorcycles, I took up Sailing and Windsurfing,went to Hawaii for the USWA Windsurfing nationals. Even put on the Windsurfing Nationals in Lorain, Ohio.  Now I know of quite a few good motorcycle riders that Windsurf and are POG members also.   Carl Cranke, Dick Burelson, Dicks son Erick who is now the President of KTM North America.  Motorcycle photographers and friends Mike and Anne Adair from Florida, Fred Cameron California and a few others that I have forgotten.   Even playing Golf crosses paths with many motorcycle buffs.   Your big wheel ride on Daytona Beach must have been alot of fun, with everlasting memories.   Havin Fun!

Paul Danik

Bill,

Having your 15 seconds of fame footage hit the editing room floor puts you in with some good company. When On Any Sunday was edited, all of the footage of World Speedway Champion Barry Briggs was clipped in order to keep the film from running too long.  Barry Briggs made his way to the premier showing, expecting to be in the movie and having traveled from across the big pond, only to be told by Bruce Brown that there was a minor problem.........

As far as having my two interests cross over, they sure have, when Barb Weisman designed the POG display when Penton was Featured Marque at VMD,she said we should have some landscaping in the display.  I hauled more plants to Vintage Days that year than motorcycles:D  That sure was a good time.

Paul

LynnCamp

Bill -- we are just grateful that you have found a way to donate so much time and effort (and we can't forget Karen in this equation!) to the Penton projects -- given your varied interests!

Doug --- can't believe that you were into windsurfing / hawaii /sailing... we need to talk one of these Penton meeting days ....  I actually was introduced to motorcycles because of the guys that arrived on their bikes to a surf shop that I co-owned.  However, I have to admit that I was a powerboat fan and used to pretty much snub my noses at the slow-boat sailors <grin>!  But there is no question that I would have moved to Hawaii at one time if I my family (who are all afraid of flying) hadn't threatened to disown me if I moved.

Thing is........ there is only one love that has survived all these years --- and that's dirt bikes in general and more specifically "Penton Rules"!