1978 KTM 250

Started by Chrisbo, March 08, 2006, 10:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisbo

Needing your help again guys, How do I tell if my 78 250 is a MC5 or a GS6 (Not really the correct names I know) from the frame? In other words are there any differences in the frames and if so what are they and how can I tell. Also can ayone give me the part number for a kickstart for the same bike please.

Thanks again
Chris.

tofriedel

Chris,

The best advice I can offer is to get a 78 manual and check out the differences.  The GS's usually have a rear fender loop and 6 speed tranny.  The MC5 also has a 6 speed tranny, but one gear is locked out  Suspension is usually the same, some MC5's came had motoplats with lighting coils, while others did not.  All GS6's had motoplats with lighting coils.  All engine parts are the same.

Tony
Tony

Chrisbo

Thanks for the reply Tony, I've got a copy of a 78 manual that Kip sent me.
The reason I ask the question is because my bike has a 80 tank on it, a missing airbox and inner rear fender and nuts welded in the frame that looks like a rear loop would bolt into but no rear loop. It also has the short rear fender without a light that would be on an MC model so I wasn't sure if there was any definitive way of identifying what it started life as. I thought I had read somewhere that the enduro model had a different rear shock angle but I could be getting mixed up.

Cheers
Chris.

Dennis Jones

Chris, let me start with I'm no expert, but......  On a 77 it is easy to tell the difference, welded on rear frame loop, dual upper rear shock mounts, and that big turtle back high breather backbone. By 78 it is MHO that they start out the same. The only difference being bolt on rear frame loop, lighting kit, and different plastic. In other words it could be whatever you want it be. Al has repo starters that would be correct for your bike. maybe Gary E will chime in here, he has been building a 78.

Dennis Jones

Then again I could be all wet, I just looked at some pictures of a 78 with a welded on rear frame loop. The 78 roller I have in the garage has nuts for the bolt on type. [B)]
Dennis Jones

jj

Chris,

The MC5 & GS6 names were still used in '78 based on the the MC5/78 and GS6/78 parts books that I have. The MC5 serial numbers start with 855 and the little known GS6 serial nubbers starts with 8xx. I'm not sure about the last 2 numbers yet, but there are 2 shown in the frame number list as 801. So it could still be the old year month code. The GS6 parts book  still shows a turtle back frame with a welded on rear frame loop and with one new item being a center stand. From what I have seen back in ciculation, I would guess there were more MC5's actually used for enduro & XC. The tank on my 78 is made of fiberglass and looks like a toaster tank on steroids with a super sized filler cap.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

G Ellis

Chris send me your email address. I can send you some photos of the frames. The difference in the frames are as followed: MC5 frame has 3 bars for the backbone, under the tank. MC5 has no rear fender frame loop ,this was a opition that could be bolted on. GS6 78 frames some had center stands some of the early runs did not. One shock mount, some had two rear pipe mounts.GS6 has a covered backbone under the tank. 1978 frames where orange in color.MC5 frames had a plastic air box,GS6 has a metal air box. Hope this will help Gary Ellis

Chrisbo

Thanks for all the replies guys as always you are an infinate source of knowledge. I think from all your descriptions it's an MC model I've got as the frame number starts 855 and it has welded nuts in the frame for an optional rear hoop. Gary I'll send you my email address at work, if you wouldn't mind sending me the photos you're talking about I appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone
Cheers
Chris :D