Chain slider

Started by Keithuu, March 09, 2006, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keithuu

I noticed that the top of the swing arm on my '75 250 has some pretty well-defined chain grooves in it, ostensibly from faulty chain tension, but there nonetheless. Has anyone successfully grafted on a nylon(?) slider to head off chain wear? I'm assuming (whoops, there's that word again)that a slider wasn't standard equipment because I don't see any obvious attachment points.

I seem to recall reading something about this topic a while back, either on the site or in the newsletter.[?]

Keithuu
Keithuu

Steve Minor

I have a teflon rectangle block attached to my swingarm to prevent chain damage. I strapped it on with a heavy-duty cable tie. Works great.
Steve Minor

Keithuu

Thanks for the tip, Steve. What are the approx. dimensions and where do you buy chunks of teflon? I presume that the zip ties are somehow recessed or is the block cross-drilled?

Keithuu
Keithuu

Dennis Jones

I make a simple slider by taking a sheet of teflon (truck mud flap, cutting board, furniture slide, ect) Cut a strip approximatly 2" x 7". Drill a small hole at each corner, use a heat gun to heat the center and wrap it around something the same diameter as the swingarm pivot into a U shape. Slide it over the swingarm and zip tie the corners together. Works great and costs nothing :D

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

john durrill

Dennis , Steve,
 Could you folks take a picture and send it too me? I can post it in the library for every one to see.
 John D.

Steve Minor

The method Dennis uses is sounds great....and a cheap white teflon cutting board will supply plenty of blanks. I was able to get a supply of 3"x10"x1/2" teflon strips and I'm not sure they will form a "U" even when heated. I place the wire tie far enough back into the chain angle so it doesn't cut the wire tie.
Steve Minor

Steve Minor

Be glad to John...might have to wait till the weekend though...

By the way, how's the finger?..All "healed up and haired over"?
Steve Minor

Lew Mayer

An old piece of Preston Petty should last forever.[:o)]

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dennis Jones

John, I will try to send one tonight.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones