Birth Announcement

Started by Keithuu, March 13, 2006, 07:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keithuu

Just like a proud Papa, I'm compelled to announce that another 1975 Penton 250 is among the living and fully functional. 68 degree weather here yesterday prompted the first post-completion test ride which, though only a couple of miles long, proved successful.:D

The bike, purchased in December from Randy Kirkbride, who literally did all of the hard work, bless his heart, wasn't too difficult to complete, especially with help from Tom Brosius, Rob Wardlow, Dane Leimbach, and a few others.

Probably the most amazing characteristic of the bike is how easy it starts (sound of me knocking on wood). Once I got the wiring sorted out, the thing came to life after only three prods. This was an engine which had not been started since rebuild. It is usually a two kick runner now, even with the stock Motoplat, which is scheduled for eventual replacement with the MZ-B sitting on my work bench.

It's not intended to be a show quality resto but a rider, pure and simple, with the primary goal being participation in this year's ISDTRR. I should have ample time to get it sorted out on the trails of Northern Michigan. If anyone is interested to know any particulars, contact me off-line and I'll regale you with boring details.

I've sent a few pics to the Web master (mistress?)so they should eventually find their way to the site. Once you get a peek at the EvilBay "before" picture, you'll clearly see what a "visionary" Randy is. It isn't the worst starting point I've seen but it sure must have been a challenge, anyway.[:p]

Keithuu

Man, in a classic brain fade, I forgot to thank Al Buehner for his patience and support, not to mention the pretty neat stuff he sold me!!

BEFORE

AFTER

Keithuu

John Ehrhart

Way to go!
I must confess to a little jealousy, though: you are a shock rebuild and top-end reassembly ahead of me!
Happy wheelies

John
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

Rain Man

Congratulations Keithtuu, thats a beutiful bouncing baby.
  Your bikes an inspiration to the eventual resurrection of the couple of 250's I have here.  beutiful, simply beutiful [:p]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Chakka

Dennis Jones

Outstanding job Keithuu, it looks like you had a good core to start with. You may want to try and find a big ol Preston Petty skid plate for the ISDTRR as the rocks at St. Joe park are brutal.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Randy Kirkbride

Keith,
WOW! "visionary", Thanks!
I gotta go get my wife to read this.  She would probably disagree with you.
Seriously, moments like this are what makes restoring a bike worth while.
Great job, Keith.

Lew Mayer

Looks great, Keith!

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Don Roth

Keith,
Very nice job, happy to see that plate on the back,
now just keep it around 55!
-don

sixdazed

Hi Keith-Beeeeautiful!inspires me to get on the ball and clean up my 75 250HS.Where did you find the taillite or taillite lens.i have a falk fender but the taillite or at least the lens is roached,i may be able to save the taillite.Also what length/spring rate shocks are you using with the shocks in the laydown position and how do they work?Does it turn better in this position?I've been thinking of converting mine to get a license plate(minimal requirements here in arizona)for the occassional putt to work-thru the sandwash,of course.Great looking bike.Take Care, Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Keithuu

Good morning, Rick;
The lens came courtesy of Randy. All I had to was round up a couple of long, skinny machine screws to attach it.

The shocks are Works Performance, 13 1/2" long, set up for 230# of prime Michigan beef, with about 2" of sag. Triple rate springs should allow a nice "boulevard ride" at low speed but still take the big hits, assuming I ever get out of 3d gear. [:p]

Can't comment on handling since I've only cruised the neighborhood thus far, but rear wheel travel should be around 7", if all the info is correct.

I always like to plate my dirty bikes, even if they're not strictly legal since it conveys an initial impression of law-abidingness(?) to Deputy Fife or whomever. The functioning brake light and mirror help a bit, too. Hopefully law enforcers will overlook my lack of DOT tires, hi-lo beam switch, and horn, the only other requirements in Michigan to be truly "legal". Easy enuf to add a squeeze bulb horn if soome event rules demand, ala Young Ted.

One other tip I've picked up regarding semi-street use of a dirt bike is to not run numbers on the thing. Nothing alerts the po-lice quicker, except for maybe a raucous exhaust note. Also, I think you get better reception from civilians encountered along the ride if they don't think you're participating in some kind of race. Just my take.

Keithuu
Keithuu

rd400pi

Fantastic bike!

Mike H.