Restore Tips ??

Started by imported_n/a, March 20, 2006, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, couple questions please. 1 - Anyone know where I can get my hands on some of those 1/2" wide gray plastic fasteners with the holes? You know, the predecessor to a modern zip tie. 2. Any tips on how to keep my speedo from sagging on the crossbar? Can't seem to tighten up the mount enough for a firm grip on the bar. Thanks,

chris h.
1974 Six Day 125cc

Rocket

Chris
What type speedo bracker do you have, the "L" bracker or the crossbar mount?  If you have the "L" bracket style, cut a rubberband from a M/C innertube and secure it to the crossbar.
Rocket

Chakka

Chris,
Rocket is correct on the "L" Style bracket, an inner tube rubber band is the trick way to secure it. On the crossbar mount style used from 74' onward you can bend the clamping surfaces that grab the cross bar slightly. If that still doesn't hold fast I wind some 3/4" wide electrical tape around the crossbar on the clamp surfaces, when it is built up enough for the bracket to be tightened fully simply bolt on the bracket. The bracket is wider than the tape so you wont see it underneath. I have had to do that on all but one of my 3 bikes using that style bracket and it works great.

BTW, the plastic strip with holes in it to accept the little plastic rivet are very hard to find. To my knowledge nobody has reproduced them yet. When I come across them I clean them up and save them in the event I ever restore a museum quality Penton.

Chakka