Restoration Opinions

Started by thrownchain, March 11, 2006, 09:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpage11

I had to add one more thing.  

If I could find a 152 kit for my 6 day I'd put it on in a minute.  The historic significance of those good old gear head days and what we wouldn't do for 3 more hp along with the thought of my dad rolling his eyes, thinking there he goes again, tearing apart a perfectly good bike.  It'd put a smile on my face.  I just think it gives an insight into the owner's personality and what could be more right?
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

thrownchain

Now that's an answer, and done in such a way to make sense. I totally agree that a bike that has a race pedigree should be kept as was raced. And restore or renovate makes sense. And to make your bike how you would have wanted it then also has a place. The variations are what make it interesting, and keep people paying attention. Thanks guys.[^]

thrownchain

More opinions, On the frame paint or powder coat?? On any painted part same question. On chrome parts, Rechrome or try to find new parts?? Tires, new or period correct?? Say it's going to be a rider just to make it easy.

Chakka

I powder coated the frame of the first Penton I restored. A few months later I had to do some welding on the frame so it was wasted effort. Now I paint my frames with PJ1 KTM silver gray. My thought being that if I ride the bike a season and the finish gets really messed up I can always disassemble durning the winter months and powder coat.

Chakka