Mudguards,,,,,,Alloy fenders

Started by rob w, February 16, 2006, 12:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linglewn

Upon further review the rear is the proper size. I matches the curvature of the old Preston Petty that was on the bike very closely. As pointed out by others, the front is about 2 inches too long, and the rear about 19 inches longer than the PP.

Nelson
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

linglewn

I'm about ready to cut and drill the alloy fenders, but I would rather not rely on the mounting locations and sizes of the Preston Pettys that were one the bike. Could someone please give me the measurement from the front mounting bolt in the aluminum fender mounting bracket to the front of the fender? I have the total length (front-to-back over the top)as 36 inches. On the rear, I hope to get the distance from the rear loop mounting holes to the rear of the fender plus the overall length of the fender. Thanks in advance.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

rob w

Hi Nelson,

The original '72 front fender I have here is 31 1/2" long (end to end, across the top curvature).
Both mounting holes in the fender measure 9.0" in from the ends.
Rubber flap is 6 1/4" long.

No help with the '72 rear fender. Though maybe someone else...
Thanks for keeping us posted, I'm interested to hear how it's goes.

Bob

linglewn

Bob,
Thanks for the info on the front fender. The total length is shorter than I thought, but maybe I had it confused with a steel tanker without mudflap. If I find out anything on the rear, maybe we can both benefit. Thanks again.

Nelson
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Bob

Quotequote:Originally posted by linglewn

If I find out anything on the rear, maybe we can both benefit. Thanks again.
Here's 2 pictures of an original uncut '72 Jackpiner rear fender and tapemeasure :D Credit to whichever POG member sent these to me.

http://members.cox.net/dynobob/penton_rear_fender_1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/dynobob/penton_rear_fender_2.jpg

linglewn

Bob,
Thanks for the photos. I guess this means that the total length is 27 7/8, which is quite a bit shorter than the Preston Petty that I was using as a guide. Now if someone has the frame loop-to-rear edge distance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Nelson
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

cardojr

You guys are much more on the ball than I am-I swung by the Enfield shop yesterday and they were closed (open mon-fri only)-I think I'll just order a set. I'll talk to a friend of mine who does custom bikes and find out where he gets his fenders beaded and what the cost is.
Thanks-rob

linglewn

I just wanted to float this question back to the top. Does anyone have the measurement for the distanace that the rear alloy fender extends past the rear frame loop on the '72 Jackpiner? The fender blanks from Enfield look pretty good, I am anxious to cut and drill them for mounting. Thanks.

Nelson
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

firstturn

Nelson,
  I guess I will get into this subject since you need a answer.  I don't have a bike here that I can measure, but if you click on this you can do some simple math by measuring the length of the loop and making a estimate of where you you want to mount your fender.  Check this out and if this doesn't help I will find some original fender in my parts and send you that measurement.

http://gallery.pentonusa.org/gallery/album05/PentonDay05_020

I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

linglewn

Ron,
Thanks for the side view picture. I have looked for a view such as this, but didn't come across one. If I scaled it properly, the overhang is 1.25 times the distance from the frame loop (not the mounting holes) to the seat. By my measurements, and for those that may not want to make your own measurements, that makes the overhang 10 inches from the center of the frame loop. Thanks again for the help. It's nice to have some basis for our estimates.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

firstturn

Nelson,
  I am sorry I didn't have a bike to measure by, but I hope it did help.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rocket

Nelson
Checked on an old fender that came off of a 72 6-day and the holes measure 205mm from the back edge of the fender, in a straight line, to the center of the hole.
Rocket

linglewn

Thanks Rocket. The holes are about an inch from the center of the loop, so that would be about 9 inches vs 10 inches scaled from the photo. That narrows it down pretty good.

Nelson
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125